Ribeye Roast

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I started with a 5.5# chunk from a 16# ribeye roast & trimmed 1.5# of fat from it. I watched a few things, from Meathead to Raichlin, & then I came back here for the first & final guidance. All that was available was dried herbs and it worked out well, I mixed them up in a pan along with the oil, then coated the roast with it.

Pretty sure it was meathead who said to salt the roast several hours beforehand (definitely got the guidance for trimming from MH) but we only gave the salt 10 hours or so.

I made a horseradish sauce from the first link I found online, I found and grated a 1/2# section of horseradish root, and used some prepared (jarred minced horseradish, not sure what if anything else was in the jar) horseradish as well.

I put it on the WSM & kept it between 225 & 295 according to my dome thermometer. I planned on pulling it at 125, letting it cool for a while & then sear it. The internal temp kept climbing and it looked good so we skipped the sear. No smoke wood for flavor.

_DSC0794 - FIRE by Clint Clint Bo Bint, on Flickr

_DSC0802 - Wait by Clint Clint Bo Bint, on Flickr

_DSC0806 - crust by Clint Clint Bo Bint, on Flickr

_DSC0808 by Clint Clint Bo Bint, on Flickr

45566272545_4b189cfd1f_k.jpg
[/url]_DSC0815 - 1st slice by Clint Clint Bo Bint, on Flickr[/IMG]

no plated shots, but we had au jus with meat drippings from the resting pan for a dipping sauce, some brown gravy, and some baked potatoes that were rubbed in salt & olive oil, smoked for 30 minutes & then put into the oven @ 450F for another 40 minutes.

This was the first ribeye roast I've done & it turned out well. I didn't use the water pan or any type of heat shield, and if I'd have seared it as planned I think the herbs might've charred.

Back