Rib rub overnight

Mike Taylor

TVWBB Member
I usually apply my rub for ribs about an hour before smoking. However I've seen recipes that recommend overnight. What are your thoughts?

No reason in particular, but I generally rub them the night before. I then apply a bit of additional rub right before they go on the WSM. I'm thinking maybe I'll try and change it up and see if it makes any difference.

I did it once and my ribs tasted like ham...now I just apply while I get the smoker ready.

When I know I am in a hurry the next AM, I rub them the night before. Otherwise I do it the morning of. I like the rub to pull moisture and create a paste.

Last ones i did i rubbed the night before, and I really like it cuz I didn't have to get up any earlier to prep them. In fact i even got the wsm ready to roll. Just had to get up and fire up the coals. That's worth it to me.

Remember: the rub is meant to compliment the taste of the ribs, not the other way 'round. I do once in the morning an hour before the cook.

I go back and forth with this. If the rub doesn't have a lot of salt (precursor to said 'hamminess') I'll rub it overnight. However, at times, I prefer the Kruger method of sprinkling some kosher salt on them the day of and once they become wet and the fibers have opened up a bit, I'll use my saltless rub. It imparts great flavor.

On the subject of "hammy" ribs, I agree with Bill and Tony. I almost always cut way back on the salt in a rub recipe and apply just a "dusting" prior to putting them in the smoker. Too much salt and too much rub are never good.

Back