rib rack question

TroyS

TVWBB Member
Anyone know if the rib rack (hanging) that fits the WSM 22.5 would work on a drum smoker (55 gal)?

Last edited:
I don't know about the Weber rack, but Gateway Drum Smokers sells the rack for their 55-gallon drum smoker as a separate accessory, and target.com has it for $39.99 with free shipping. That rack would probably work with any 55-gallon drum smoker, but measure before ordering just to be sure.

I just bought their rack for their 30-gallon drum (which Target does not carry), which fits the 18.5 WSM, and cooked ribs with it yesterday. It is very well made, stainless steel, and comes with 6 hooks. It should also be sturdier than the Weber rack, but it does not fold up for storage.
I got the smaller rack from http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_item_2968600.html

Last edited:
I just accessed the Target.Com Website and it only shows a Gateway Rib Rack that fits their "Gateway" 55 Gallon Drum Smoker which is 22" wide and would not fit a WSM 18.5".

I just accessed the Target.Com Website and it only shows a Gateway Rib Rack that fits their "Gateway" 55 Gallon Drum Smoker which is 22" wide and would not fit a WSM 18.5".
Correct. The original question was about a 55-gallon drum smoker, and the rack Target sells should fit that. I should have been clearer: Gateway makes two sizes of their hanging rack. Their smaller size, for their 30-gallon drum smoker, fits the WSM 18.5 very well, but Target does not sell that size. I bought the smaller rack from a different online source. http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_item_2968600.html

Last edited:
Correct. The original question was about a 55-gallon drum smoker, and the rack Target sells should fit that. I should have been clearer: Gateway makes two sizes of their hanging rack. Their smaller size, for their 30-gallon drum smoker, fits the WSM 18.5 very well, but Target does not sell that size. I bought the smaller rack from a different online source. http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_item_2968600.html

Larry, I ordered the rack from Target. Measurements will definitely work. I am actually good from 22" to 21" due to the pegs/brackets that hold up the cooking grates. Also I looked at the WSM with a bit more detail and if I'm correct it's configuration would not work on a drum smoker unless the lid were off. The WSM rack looks to be designed with the domed lid in mind. Anyway, thank you all for the help.

Larry, I ordered the rack from Target. Measurements will definitely work. I am actually good from 22" to 21" due to the pegs/brackets that hold up the cooking grates. Also I looked at the WSM with a bit more detail and if I'm correct it's configuration would not work on a drum smoker unless the lid were off. The WSM rack looks to be designed with the domed lid in mind. Anyway, thank you all for the help.

The Gateway drums have two grate levels, like the WSM. I assume the ring would site on the arms that hold the lower grate level. In fact, looking at the rack, I'm not sure it would fit on the WSM's top grate location, but please let us know if it does.

The Gateway drums have two grate levels, like the WSM. I assume the ring would site on the arms that hold the lower grate level. In fact, looking at the rack, I'm not sure it would fit on the WSM's top grate location, but please let us know if it does.

Will do. .

Troy, glad to help. I hope the larger Gateway rack works for you.

Chad, the smaller Gateway rack sits on the 18.5 WSM supports for the top grate just fine. I'll be interested to see if the larger rack fits the same way on a 22 (not that I have one... yet. :) )

The Gateway Rack works. It fits perfectly with the only exception being the pegs inside my drum smoker are long enough by only a half inch. I have to be real careful when setting the rack inside but really careful when hanging food. But all in all the rack works and I am happy with the set up. I forgot to check it inside the WSM but will and get back to you guys asap.

Last edited:

Back