Reverse sear steaks... in the oven

ScottM

TVWBB Member
It was a little rainy today and I didn't feel like dealing with it. However, I had some 1.5" thick steaks to cook. KC Strip for my wife and a Ribeye for me. They were pretty big so I decided to go with a reverse sear in the oven. I went low & slow. They went into the oven at 225-250 degrees for about an hour. I didn't think it would take that long but it did. After they were about 110 degrees I pulled them and into a hot cast iron pan they went. A bit of sunflower oil and clarified butter awaited their arrival. They were topped with fresh rosemary and first flipped after a minute, then every 30 seconds there after until they hit 135 degrees. I really should have pulled them at 130, but I know for next time.

I wish I had more pictures, but I didn't even think about it until they were done and mine being was cut up. Luckily my wife thought hers looked awesome and took a picture. It's hard to see just how nice and brown the crust came out. I'd highly recommend this method if anyone else is faced with a rain out.

Nice plate!! You owe us a grilled steak..on the weber...lol
When it gets rainy I get my gas grill pull it close to the patio door and still grill.

I guess if it works for the restaurants and steakhouses why not at home. i've had some very good steaks that were cooked in ovens and finished on the griddle. Those look fantastic.

Back