Reverse Sear Pork Steaks

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
After Bob's resent Pork Steak post, I got such a hankering for some. So I went to the butcher and picked two up. I also keep thinking about the video Lynn posted about doing them reverse sear, so I decided to try that today.
1614628865445~2.jpg
Used the same homemade rub that I used on the high heat ribs I made recently.1614628925888~2.jpg
And onto the WSM 14 with ROCS and a piece of pecan for smoke and my favorite heat sink, potatoes in foil.
IMG_20210301_155002.jpg
And here we are at the hour mark.
IMG_20210301_164805.jpg
And flipped them, inside of the top steak goes on the grate. What was on the grate is now in the middle of the top steak.
1614635278313~2.jpg
Done on the WSM.
IMG_20210301_181407.jpg
And onto the kettle.
IMG_20210301_181450.jpg
And done.
IMG_20210301_181446.jpg
Served and cut.
IMG_20210301_181459.jpg
IMG_20210301_181504.jpg

That was a great cook. I love pork steaks and these hit the spot. Smoked them first and a quick reverse sear for a few minutes was different when I have done them the opposite was in the past.
The best way for me to describe the texture is to compare it to if you have ever done Chris's low and slow chicken breast recipe verse doing chicken breast right on the kettle. The outside of the low and slow version gets this little tension with super tender meat inside. That is the same thing that happened with these.
The best part was the smoke flavor. I can not believe how much smoke flavor got into the pork with only being on the WSM for two hours. I was surprised at the depth of flavor. It keep me coming back for another bite.

Pork steaks are a big deal here around St. Louis - it's not summer time here until you've eaten a pork steak. Glad to see you're enjoying them in PA.

My neighbor just gave me a package of pork steaks last weekend. I will have to get them into this weeks lineup.
Thanks for sharing another great cook Michael. 👍 👍

Pork steaks are a big deal here around St. Louis - it's not summer time here until you've eaten a pork steak. Glad to see you're enjoying them in PA.
Yeah,
The only way I could get them in the past was to have my butcher buddy take a whole shoulder and cut them for me. However, about a month ago I saw that my local butcher shop started to carry them, and now I have seen them at my local Walmart the last few times I went. It is a cut that must be growing in popular here on the east coast to have them at both of those places. Knowing I can get them a single steak when I want it, makes me want to try other cooking options/recipes.

Those look great. I just cut up some pork steaks yesterday going to give this method a try.

I get pork steaks pretty often. Never let me down! I’ve tried the (Gordon Food service) salmon rub on them and as weird as it sounds, it’s pretty good but, I still prefer something just a touch sweeter even though I shouldn’t.

Michael: Curious if you recorded the internal temp(s) at some point?
Tony, I did not, I was trying to trust the guide from the video, so the WSM was right between 250 and 260, I did 2 hours right on the noes in the smoker, I like the look of them at that point so I went onto the kettle. Sorry you are right I should have done that.

They are just steaks band-sawed from a bone in pork shoulder butt (not the picnic). At my local grocer, I can grab a butt on sale, walk up to the butcher and ask to have it sawn into 1-1/4" thick steaks. If not busy they do it immediately and don't add on cost.

Beautiful color on those....making me want some so bad....fasting for a blood test so I really should not be looking at food pics!

They are just steaks band-sawed from a bone in pork shoulder butt (not the picnic). At my local grocer, I can grab a butt on sale, walk up to the butcher and ask to have it sawn into 1-1/4" thick steaks. If not busy they do it immediately and don't add on cost.
Yep, around here I can find them at about 3/4” most of the time, anything thicker I need to chat with the butcher. He cuts beef first thing in the morning so, if I want a special cut of beef, I need to get there really early or talk to him the day before, Dan is really nice about it. It pays to get to know these guys.
Or I go to the other butcher who has the space for two saws and he can do what I need pretty much anytime, same kindness applies, get to know them, they will treat you right.

Yep, this is how I did it for the last few years! Just recently I am seeing them pre-cut and ready to buy/use in my area.

Back