Reusing lump charcoal

Dan Lutter

TVWBB Member
I used B & B Lump Coal when finished There was lump not turned to ash,Do most of the lump users sort out the large lump and reuse? Only problem I had was getting the temp up. but it was low 30's and wind blowing. After I moved the smoker to the garage temp reached 250 degrees Any advise is welcome.

I re use my lump, generally I pour what's left in the basket(s) into the chimney again and shake it.
All the dust and small pieces fall out and I keep what is left in a bucket.
I find it lights easy but usually just use it to throw on top of an already on fire basket if I need more fuel.
The lump I use always lights easy though.
I'm trying to figure out if it has as good of flavour as fresh charcoal when using it again, I want to believe it does but not sure, it's why I use it to top off burning charcoal.

same as timothy, quick shake and back in the smoker, cover with whatever i'm using next

I won't base a full cook on recycled coal, but whatever is left is always dumped in the chimney along with the new fuel

I am the same as Jeb (MichaelM). When I clean the ash and left over lump from my smoker I filter it through my chimney. After a few knocks on the side of the chimney what ever remains I use with new fuel for next time.

The only time I don’t is if there has been sauce or fats dripped down sometimes I remove water pan in my wsm so my thinking is that I want to avoid any potential off flavors

This is a more recent decision though,
In the passed I’ve just gone for it.

I reuse mine. When I finish a cook, I just close all of the vents, even the lid vent. It extinguishes the fire, then I just put my smoker cover on it. Basically I leave my lump in the smoker.

The next smoke, I just knock the lump coal around to loosen the ash, remove the coals to dump the ash, then re-add the coals. Then add more as needed, and start the cook.

I only cook lump in my WSM as well. I have about 10 bags of B&B to go through!.

I even do the same in the kettle grill if I have a lot of left over charcoal.

Leftover lump also works fine in your grill. I frequently use the smallest pieces in my kettle to cook steak, chicken, brats, et al. If you're really cheap (I am) and careful you can even use leftover briquettes; I generally have a few that never get lit, or barely burn, and they work well in the chimney to start a Minion burn. My avatar was cooked on recycled lump, and it came out all right. 🙂

Back