Restoring the finish on my 2008 WSM

PeterD

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been bothered by how cruddy the exterior of my WSM has become over the last few years and this afternoon I tried to clean it up a little. I applied copious quantities of Formula 409 with a ScotchBrite pad, rinsed off then scoured with an SOS pad to remove as much of the baked on brown creosote/junk as I could, followed by another round of 409 and a final rinse. It looked almost brand new....until it dried and it's back to a dull finish and dried-on stains. Not as bad as before I started but not showroom-like new either.

I'm not so much interested in cleaning off the innards of the beast as I am in getting it like-new on the outside. What forms of chemical warfare should I be engaging in here?

On a side note, as a testament on how well the WSM holds its heat, I did a 14 hour brisket yesterday and shut the smoker down around noon on Saturday. After removing and cleaning the dome and middle section this afternoon (Sunday), I went to empty the ashes and recover the mostly-spent charcoal only to discover that the fire had re-ignited itself some 28 hours after I shut the vents down. Granted it's hotter than blazes outside (93 degrees, 104 heat index) so the smoker wasn't cold, but the grates were easy to handle, the dome and middle section weren't too hot, etc. I'm really shocked at how long this machine held its heat.

One unrelated question, other than the thermometer and ash pan, what are1 the differences between my 2008 model (lid code DZ) and the 2009-2013 models?

What is a clay bar and detail spray? Can't say I've ever heard of either one, nor would I even know where to buy 'em or how to use 'em. Can you perhaps shine a little light on the process? Thanks!

What is a clay bar and detail spray? Can't say I've ever heard of either one, nor would I even know where to buy 'em or how to use 'em. Can you perhaps shine a little light on the process? Thanks!

You can get it at any auto parts store or online from Amazon.

It's basically a putty-like substance that you rub on the paint of a car, using the detail spray as a sort of lubricant, and it pulls all the embedded dirt and debris out of the paint.

Peter-
a clay bar http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html?gclid=CPXhs5OonrgCFSUV7AodpRsArQ is used to remove as many surface contaminants as possible from a painted surface(usually automotive). the detail spray works w/the clay bar to clean the surface. Dennis was just saying that trying this out on the outside of your rig may give you the results you are looking for.

edit-beaten by Rich while distracted

Last edited:
Did you use a green ScotchBrite pad? Won't those scratch stuff? A few months ago, I used 409 and 0000 steel wool on my Summit lid with great results and no dulling.

One unrelated question, other than the thermometer and ash pan, what are1 the differences between my 2008 model (lid code DZ) and the 2009-2013 models?
New features on the 18.5" WSM are listed in this article on TVWB: New 18-1/2" and 22-1/2"
Weber Smokey Mountain Cookers for 2009

Try a polishing compound on an electric buffer with a soft pad. Mcguiers, I think, makes a liquid fine cut cleaner that might polish out all of the scratching left behind from the Scotch Pad.

Peter - Not sure how dull your finish is - prob not as bad as this girl...
IMG_2527_zps4b852db4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've tried compound so far with no luck. Also going to try wet or dry sandpaper and 0000 wool - keep us posted if you find anything that really works well!

Back