Restoring Genesis Grills?

Rich: If people pay a as much for a grill as they do their kitchen oven, they are not going to feel good about it needing to be replaced in 5 years. Weber is still a top company in sales today due to the reputation it developed over the last 30-40 years. But that will change if the quality doesn't continue to rise with the price and replacement parts are not available for simple things like burners, grates, igniters and flavorizer bars. And it really isn't Weber that is supplying the replacement parts market. Sure, they make the basics for most of their gas grills. But it is the aftermarket that has filled the demand for most of the replacement parts. And their prices are what makes it reasonable to restore a 20 year old grill rather than simply junk it and buy new.

By the way Rich, Is that a Genesis Hood on the Silver C frame and cook box?

Rich, first thing I would try is bleach to clean up knobs and those thermoset tables.

Rich: If people pay a as much for a grill as they do their kitchen oven, they are not going to feel good about it needing to be replaced in 5 years. Weber is still a top company in sales today due to the reputation it developed over the last 30-40 years. But that will change if the quality doesn't continue to rise with the price and replacement parts are not available for simple things like burners, grates, igniters and flavorizer bars. And it really isn't Weber that is supplying the replacement parts market. Sure, they make the basics for most of their gas grills. But it is the aftermarket that has filled the demand for most of the replacement parts. And their prices are what makes it reasonable to restore a 20 year old grill rather than simply junk it and buy new.

By the way Rich, Is that a Genesis Hood on the Silver C frame and cook box?

No that's a genesis 1000 box and top in a genesis 3000 frame. I didn't want the side burner so I made it a 2000 and added a right hand flip up shelf.

How long did they make the Genesis 1000-5000? I thought they switched to the Silver B-C by 2002?

Larry:
Sounds like you might have common ancestors way back <snip politics>...

I am not trying to be political, just seems like your self evaluation is eerily similar to what is said about <snip politics>...

Nah, I'm a lot different. First off I'm incredibly good looking, now once you get yourself off the floor, no actually <snip politics>...
Actually think more Al Capone, which is the reason for my avatar.

1z386zr.jpg

Funny they didn't have parts for my Summit even under warranty and FAR younger than 20 yo. IMO between that and going off to the Chinese and having the gall to raise prices is where they lost "me" anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha, is Capone your idle?

My grandfather was working in the Mason City, Iowa 1st National bank when it was robbed by Dillinger. It is hard to get past the criminal part to really like the guy though even though he is a very interesting character.

It's really not true that the newer Webers are much more expensive than the vintage ones were when new. Pretty sure my Dad told me he paid $500 + for is his genesis 1000 (the one I now have) roughly 25 years ago. A new genesis II with the same 3 burners and the same open cart is I think $650. Adjusted for inflation it's probably less $$.

No one can say for sure how well the new genesis will last. Only time will tell us that. All I know is the frame on the new genesis looks even more solid and heavy duty than my old 1000 and A grills. And all the stainless is high quality.

I rehabbed this one about a year and a half ago. It came with a stainless lid that I still have, but I liked the redhead look. She was originally built in 2002. She is a beast and should last a long time as I usually cook with charcoal on one of Weber Kettles or the WSM. This is my go to grill if I'm in a hurry.

Pat,
That is a GREAT looking grill! I like the combination of the classic redhead hood (looking brand-new!) with the ease of use the thermoset trays allow. Although wood is just so beautiful, too, your grill is definitely extra attractive and, as you say, a go-to for when you are in a hurry. Thanks for sharing!

Jon

Pat, I'm going to be starting a restore on a Silver B with some pretty grungy shelf and flip up, Yours look so good how did you get them that nice?

Rich,

Here is a link to a really good article I saw on the Weber Kettle Club site. It shows a Performer being restored, but the same process would, of course, work for Genesis thermoset tables. They advocate light sanding and a spray called "303":

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2017/02/20/weber-performer-table-restoration/

I have found their tutorial info to be very helpful and carefully laid out.

Jon

Jon is right. That 303 Aerospace protectant spray is great stuff. It is much better than Armor All for car trim. It doesn't leave that oily film and doesn't attract dust like the other commercial protectants do. It also has great UV protection built in. However, it is designed as a protectant and not a cleaner. So, if you use it, use it after you have already cleaned up the tables.

It is all I use on my Chevy Truck, inside and outside for all the vinyl.

I never though of using it on the thermoset grill tables. :(

Thanks for the tip Jon.

Last edited:
How long did they make the Genesis 1000-5000? I thought they switched to the Silver B-C by 2002?

Per Weber's history of gas grills, Genesis 1 came out in 1985. Transition to Genesis 1000 was early 1990s. Transition to Genesis Silver/Gold was 2000. So Genesis 1000-5000 was a 7/8/9 year run?

Hahaha, is Capone your idle?

My grandfather was working in the Mason City, Iowa 1st National bank when it was robbed by Dillinger. It is hard to get past the criminal part to really like the guy though even though he is a very interesting character.

Capone and Dillinger were VERY different people and did very different things. Dillinger actually stole from people by robbing their banks. Capone on the other hand was only successful because he brought to the masses what they wanted. Alcohol (thanks to prohibition), gambling, and prostitution. Dillinger wantonly killed bystanders and anyone else that was "in the way". Capone not so much. Yeah there may have been collateral damage but the huge difference is that it was not intentional (doesn't make it right don't take me wrong). Capone also did civic minded things though. During the dark times of the depression he gave many out of work people jobs and solid pay. He also established the first "soup kitchens" in Chicago to help feed those that the governments policies (I guess this will get snipped too?!) were hurting. So very different people with very different intentions. Both bad guys no doubt but I would much rather deal with an Al Capone than a Dillinger. One would steal from you than shoot you in the back the other might shoot you but ONLY if you "crossed" him. Big difference

Pat, I'm going to be starting a restore on a Silver B with some pretty grungy shelf and flip up, Yours look so good how did you get them that nice?

Rich, I got lucky on the shelve's, they were in good shape. The frame was another story.

Pat,
That is a GREAT looking grill! I like the combination of the classic redhead hood (looking brand-new!) with the ease of use the thermoset trays allow. Although wood is just so beautiful, too, your grill is definitely extra attractive and, as you say, a go-to for when you are in a hurry. Thanks for sharing!

Jon

Thanks Jon. I'm hoping to get many years of use out of this one.

My grandfather was working in the Mason City, Iowa 1st National bank when it was robbed by Dillinger.

Wow; what an interesting story for conversation. Forgive me for digressing but when I was 10 our local bank was robbed and it was accessible from within the main street of our subdivision. Several of us were playing in a cul-de-sac when we heard and saw lights, sirens, and dust (the robber drove through a dirt field at one point) about half a mile away heading toward us. A mom rushed us into her house and through the windows we saw the robber drive straight into our cul-de-sac and crashed his white fastback Mustang into an adjacent house. He jumped out, was dressed in a suit, and grabbed a briefcase and ran into the woods and a moment later we heard gunshots. A bank teller hostage was in his car (and safe). I can recall all that detail but as for the gunshots I can only think I recall that he was wounded by police gunfire. Maybe the news report exists on microfiche that I could search. But as a young kid it was a fascinating event.

Here is a video of my grandfather talking about it. He has passed now, but I am very happy we got this recorded on video before he passed. This was recorded back about 25-30 years ago.

Rich,

I hope it works out for you as well as they show. I will look forward to hearing how you do with it.

Jon

Back