Refurb assistance needed in NYC

@Bruce
Thanks for the heads up!
I was planning to respray the entire frame in high temp black semi gloss

Is there a trick to removing the rear set of frame plugs? For the front set there is a slot to insert a flat head screwdriver.

Last edited:
Guys,

My apologies for the long delay in replying. They are $5 each from Weber, plus shipping of course. I went ahead and ordered 10 of them since I was ordering other stuff anyways. I'm guessing they would be safe being sent in a regular envelope with an index card. I'll let them go for $5 each shipped.

All of that batch have been spoken for. But, I have 20 more coming in to hopefully cover everyone quoted above to start with.

Dave, thanks for doing this.

You're welcome Bruce !

Just an FYI for anyone else, the part number from Weber is part# 4038590. According to my CSR, they show as having about 180-200 or so remaining in stock priced at $5.00 per.

Dave, that was a lot of work you did for the cause. I didn't order or need one, but I know what you went through to help people. Good job, good sir.

Tim

What’s the proper way to remove the caster inserts from the frame? There’s an orange rust color coating the bottom of the frame legs that I’d like to clean up before spraying with paint

What’s the proper way to remove the caster inserts from the frame? There’s an orange rust color coating the bottom of the frame legs that I’d like to clean up before spraying with paint

I just take a wide flat blade screwdriver and place it where the plastic insert meets the steel frame leg and pound it downward being careful to not ruin the plastic insert. You might want to spray some wd40 or other solvent in there before hand if they are really stuck.

@Bruce
Thanks for the WD40 tip. Sprayed the frame where the casters sit.
Will let that soak in before attempting removal.

Sprayed the frame last weekend and noticed a blemish in one area the next day. Knowing that this was going to annoy me, I wiped down that area with Xylol.
The wipe down not only removed the new paint but left a sticky residue in the surrounding areas.
In my attempt to clean up the residue I used more Xylol.
Thinking my goal was accomplished I left it to dry before applying new paint.
When the fresh paint was applied it left run marks. It is very visible after drying.

How do I correct this?
Is it ok to use the angle grinder? After grinding mask off the area and use Xylol to wipe down before respraying.
Or should I use sandpaper to sand down the area?

Last edited:
Xylol not only softened up your new paint it did so to the OEM paint. All you can do is let that all harden for a day or 2, sand it well and repaint. Lesson learned don't use that product

Yah, the angle grinder and wire brush will do a good job of stripping the paint, old or new, but you will want to sand the areas after that to feather the paint around those areas. If not, it will be real evident where the paint was stripped once you repaint.

@Bruce
Caster inserts removed
I found that using a spatula wedged into the corner between the frame and caster insert provides enough of a wedge to wiggle them out.

Used the angle grinder to sand down the frame.
Replaced two frame connectors. During disassembly two of the bolt threads snapped at the tube nut holder.
Found the tube nut holders on eBay
http://https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pack-Threaded-Star-Type-1-OD-Square-Tubing-Insert-1-4-20-Threads-S71-324/302450218045?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Have one more piece of the frame to sand before spraying with fresh paint.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a handle on the restore. Good luck. Post up photos when you get a chance.

Back