Refurb assistance needed in NYC

YOu can buy the stock I think at Farm & Fleet or Fleet Farm or you can simply use aluminum rod also

Now do I need to add a stainless steel axle to my grill? Hahahahahahaha! I think I do. I've been pretty over the top on this thing the whole time, why not?

Drew,
Good find.
It's a lower grade of Stainless than the 304 used in the other options but it should be much better than stock Weber axle.

Jeff

I bought several of the push nuts to hold the wheels on and I think it was from Menards.

Last edited:
Not only CAN it rust some is designed to rust. Just look at the steel exoskeleton on the John Hancock building in Chicago. Those brown criss cross members are a special type of stainless steel. They were not painted like that and they were not brown when they went up

You can find push nuts at your local hardware store. These are from Aubuchon Hardware.

UiladmP.jpg

I have only seen White and Chrome/Silver used for 3/8" nuts. When I got my older Weber wheels they gave you 3 Black push nuts with each wheel, must have figured you'd break or lose one upon assemble.

Jeff

Is there no EASY way to attach pictures?

I finally dismantled the redhead today.
Found no rust on the exterior of the cook box and no peeling paint.
Same with the end caps. However some of the black finish has weathered away.
Those weathered areas appear to have a bare metal look to it.
Is a good degreasing all that is needed before respray or is sanding it down a better way to go?

As for the frame there appears to be no rust. Plan to unbolt all the pieces and give it a good cleaning before spraying it black.

I'd like to replace all the bolts and washers on the frame.
Can anyone recommend a place to get replacement stainless steel bolts or is Weber the best place?
Also where does one get replacement bolts for the hood? There are 5 on each side.

Last edited:
I'd like to replace all the bolts and washers on the frame.
Can anyone recommend a place to get replacement stainless steel bolts or is Weber the best place?
Also where does one get replacement bolts for the hood? There are 5 on each side.

Drew,
Check out my post:
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?66377-Genesis-Platinum-Series-II-Restoration-started/page2

You can get all your Stainless bolts from the local hardware stores, just bring some bolts or measure them for reference. Most are 1/4" x 20 in various lengths.

Jeff

@ Bruce

Thanks for the Bolts Depot tip, just ordered new bolts!

I did find a quarter size spot of rust underneath the right side end cap. Looks like surface rust.
Can I just sand that area down and respray with primer and paint?

There would be NO rust on the end cap itself. That is aluminum. If you are talking about the edge of the porcelain coated lid that is under the end cap, then, I would simply clean it up, and dab it with some High heat paint. It likely won't be a problem however if it is just on the edge of the porcelain lid.

The rust is on the corner of the porcelain hood. Wouldn't have noticed if I didn't remove the end caps.
As suggested I'll clean up the area and spray with a little high heat black matt. Looks like the factory missed some paint in this corner, its unpainted porcelain.

Yesterday I sanded the cook box and end caps.
Still need to cleanup the inside of the cook box a bit, couldn't get into the corners with the wire cup brush

77glcNQ.jpg

Last edited:
Just to be clear. The lid is steel that is coated with porcelain. There is NO Paint on the lid when it comes out of the factory. The paint you will use will just replace the porcelain that is missing. I have never seen uncoated steel on the lids before. Usually, it is a result of some of the porcelain chipping off. That happens on the edges and around the bolt holes on the lids due to dings and tightening down too much on the end cap bolts. Since it is porcelain, it is basically glass and while it is extremely hard, it is very inflexible and will crack or chip very easily. If it is under where the endcap covers, it shouldn't be a problem.

Back