refrigerated brisket in cryovac, 6 week past use by date?

It's fine as long as your fridge is in the 34f range with little variation. It may smell funky when you open it but give it a good rinse with cold water and you'll be good to go. I usually leave my briskets in the fridge as long as possible, longest was in for a little over 8 weeks. Kevin Kruger, the author of the meat safety thread, leaves his even longer.

Like Bob says. Unless it smells/looks weird, the only thing you might find is a subtle loss of flavour. Properly refrigerated? Go for it :)

be aware that all cryovac meat will smell very off when the air hits it.. rinse it pat it dry and let it rest for a while before you make a decision.

Since it was in a vacuum packed cryo-bag, would it not lose a lot of it's vacuum if the meat was bad? (assuming there is no hole in the bag)

I was in discussion with a butcher last week concerning a butt with a hole in the bag (leaking vacuum), and he told me that they make country-style ribs out of those. Not sure what they do with other cuts of meat in a similar situation.

I've seen folks toss canned items after the due date expired, but as long as that vacuum is still there (no bulging top / bottom), the contents should be good.

Last edited:
"Use by" dates have nothing to do with food safety. Tossing the contents simply because it is past a use by date is unnecessary if the contents hasn't spoiled, which usually doesn't occur in properly cryo'd meats.

Back