Red Head Genesis Rehab

I am not so sure that tray table - or at least the set of slats - is original to that grill. It doesn’t look like it has other features that would identify it as an early Genesis. Based on the control panel and casters looks like a 1000 someone put those on.

Haven’t bought it yet since my garage is pretty full and it is a pretty long drive to it. Already have two redheads in the garage...one restored and the other one in progress. I guess I have a thing for redheads!:p

Kelly, you might well want to save yourself for a lid of another color. The redheads are more common in my area than any other color.

I have one sitting alongside the house as we speak. All you gotta do is figure out how to get it from the left coast to the right coast.

But seriously, that's part of the thrill of the hunt...like a well-laid trap, poised and ready to pounce at any given moment...

And look what this savvy seller did, wet 'er down...don't you just wish?

1603328069858.png

Last edited:
I am not so sure that tray table - or at least the set of slats - is original to that grill. It doesn’t look like it has other features that would identify it as an early Genesis. Based on the control panel and casters looks like a 1000 someone put those on.
Good eye Jon. That drop down end cap for the pivot pin is not a Genesis 1-5. I am pretty sure those came out with the Genesis 1000-5000 grills. The Genesis 1-5 exclusively had the metal pivot bracket, I think.

Good eye Jon. That drop down end cap for the pivot pin is not a Genesis 1-5. I am pretty sure those came out with the Genesis 1000-5000 grills. The Genesis 1-5 exclusively had the metal pivot bracket, I think.
But there are at least two distinctly different types of metal brackets. How deep you want to go? I can take pictures.

EDIT: I'd love to do this, establish a timeline. Here's what I got in the way of cookboxes.

Attachments

• 20201021_142056.jpg
    20201021_142056.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201021_142235.jpg
    20201021_142235.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 5
I finally got a chance to resume this project after being stored away for a few years. Anyone have any pictures of the underside of the left side swing shelf on the genesis 3 with the wide slats? Don't recall how to assemble that part.

Steve,

Sorry these aren't the best pictures, but my 1986-7 Genesis 3 project is stuffed in the back of my overflowing shed and hard to access. I hope these help a little, anyway:

IMG_4864.JPG
IMG_4865.JPG

Wow, the hardware is quite a bit different on the older model. I thought they were somewhat similar to a Genesis 1000-5000.

Steve, I think it may evolved, as the "later" Genesis 1-5 (still earlier than the 1000-5000) had narrow slats and I think by then had abandoned the unusual metal bracket with the hook on the end. Probably a lot more like x000 grills towards the end of the 1-5 years. However, the first few years were like the one I have. I have seen a few others with the same wood brackets and small metal swing bracket underneath. You probably are also well aware of the metal bracket holder that screwed into the frame before they came up with the ingenious plastic end cap type.

Still have my early 1985 Gen 2 chocolate Weber gasser that needs to find a new home and a restoration. Appears to be one of the first 2000 built.
Free to a good home as I don't have the energy or ability to do any more restorations. Needs wood replaced and other various parts. I would say it's 95% complete and in remarkable condition for its age. Per the son of the original owner, it's been in Arizona all its life and under a covered patio with a cover over it. It is all original from the bars to the burners and the lid looks like new. Frame is rust free.
Would make a nice project and great conversation piece.
You need to pick it up as I can't deliver it.

PM me if you are interested, I'm in Prescott Valley AZ right next door to Prescott.

100_4500.JPG
100_4503.JPG
100_4507.JPG100_4512.JPG
101_7324.JPG101_7325.JPG101_7334.JPG100_4504.JPG

Last edited:
Still have my early 1985 Gen 2 chocolate Weber gasser that needs to find a new home and a restoration. Appears to be one of the first 2000 built.
Free to a good home as I don't have the energy or ability to do any more restorations. Needs wood replaced and other various parts. I would say it's 95% complete and in remarkable condition for its age. Per the son of the original owner, it's been in Arizona all its life and under a covered patio with a cover over it. It is all original from the bars to the burners and the lid looks like new. Frame is rust free.
Would make a nice project and great conversation piece.
You need to pick it up as I can't deliver it.

PM me if you are interested, I'm in Prescott Valley AZ right next door to Prescott.

View attachment 89005
View attachment 89006
View attachment 89007View attachment 89008
View attachment 89009View attachment 89010View attachment 89011View attachment 89012
Rich, I would so much like to be able to take that grill off of your hands. I'm pretty sure I could make it new again and would be proud to have it on my deck. I really like that brown lid too. I hope it gets the home it deserves!

I agree. A real find for someone looking to rehab a classic. I actually have one of those colored lids, but mine is a bit lighter colored though. I would say it is almost orange-ish.

I have had it for several years and I keep thinking I should just put it on one of my rehabs, but I know that no one would appreciate the significance or history of it.

Back