Recommissioning a WSM

Bill Reinert

Hey gang
I need some advice or perspective. After more than a year of non-use I decided to recommission my 22" WSM. It was pretty gnarly inside. First I power washed inside and out. The inside had some black flakey deposits that easily washed off. After a thorough cleaning I modified it with the CB stainless door and grommets for my 732 temperature probes.

Then I reseasoned with two similar burns. I put 2 hickory splits on the charcoal ring, then made a cone using a out 2/3 of a Kingsford Comp briquettes with a depression in the middle. In the depression I poured about 1/2 chimney of lit briquettes. Then I buttoned it all back up and adjusted the top vent to about 1/2 and used only one bottom vent about 1/3 open. The second fire was exactly like the first only I cooked a couple of pork loins. Both fires used an empty foiled water pan.

Both cooks were fires were virtually identical. I could easily, for the first time, maintain 230-240 with almost no fiddling. The fires went for at least 18 hours and I had to choke them off to go to bed. In the morning they were still smoldering and I could easily restart them. The smoke was always thin and blue.

The pork was pretty good.

So it all seems good..

But the inside of the WSM has a very hard black shiney coating. It's very uniform and uniformly deposited, almost like a spray painted surface. I've never seen this before and don't know how to analyze it. Of course I'm concerned about creosote deposits but thought they'd be less uniform, more flaky.

I'm wondering if I'm on the right trail and it's all normal or if I have to readjust things.

Sorry about the long post and thanks for the help
Bill

Bill, Glad to see you back in the saddle. That hard black coating is the much talked about seasoning. It's all good.

A giant big thanks Bob and a deep breath whew!

I have a 16 pound prime brisket coming from Creekstone Farms. The cook is for my sister's 70th. What's left of the whole family will be there. For the first time I'm feeling a little pressure.

Yea the inside gets pretty gunked up. Especially if you power washed it back to brand new it will take a few cooks to build back up to normal.

I power washed my 22"WSM a few years ago... something I will not do again.

it took about ten (10) cooks AT LEAST before it started cooking pre-washing.

Yeah, I took ALL the build-up off the inside walls... looked like Brand Spankin' New again...

Looked nice, but heat control sucked.

If I do anything on my smoker (probably won't, I'm too lazy ;) ), I'd probably just scrape/brush off the crustiest areas and call it a day. The gunk on the inside doesn't hurt anything, as long as it's not falling off onto your food. And even if a little fell on my food, I'd call it "seasoning" and sell it as a feature :D

If I do anything on my smoker (probably won't, I'm too lazy ;) ), I'd probably just scrape/brush off the crustiest areas and call it a day. The gunk on the inside doesn't hurt anything, as long as it's not falling off onto your food. And even if a little fell on my food, I'd call it "seasoning" and sell it as a feature :D
David, you're a Lampe-kinda-guy ;) And I don't care if you're from BearCountry!

Bill,

Wishing your sister a Very Happy Birthday !

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Creekstone brisket.

Bob

Just looked the Creekstone brisket up, seems they ship fresh, "Our briskets are whole packer style briskets that are pulled and shipped fresh from the production line". I would think they would benefit from a little time in the fridge, like a couple of weeks ...

Good advice here from the pros, I bought my 18.5 used with one smoke on it and used it four or five times and was going to sell it, just fought the temps way to much. The experts here on the forum told me about the gunk and to not give up. Now with twenty plus cooks it's as stable as a anvil.
I like Mr. Lampe will never clean it so I don't experience what he did. My thinking is every 4th or 5th cook I do a high heat cook to clean it out a little. Good enough.

Back