Recent cooks

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
A high heat brisket cook: a rare, 8.6-pound packer which, as is often the case, I did not trim at all. Rub of coffee, cocoa, garlic, onion, extra hot NM chile, sugar, marjoram, sumac, fenugreek, sage, coriander, cumin, clove.

As always, I salted the meat first, let the salt draw some moisture, then applied the rub - fairly heavily in this case - over the salt.

I Minioned the start with 24 lit (Comp K) and loaded the meat in immediately (I never wait for the cooker to come to temp and do not get why anyone would). Oak, the wood. I had to squash the brisket in between the grate handles so I put a piece of foil under the flat end to protect it from the direct heat. (I don't worry about the point end.)

Temps to 275 in ~30 min - cracked the door - temps to 375, a bit higher than my usual target of ~335 but I really don't care. I dislike fussing with the cooker and hanging onto its every move. Because of the higher temps I foiled earlier than usual, about 2:15 after starting rather than 2:30. Just before foiling:

Temps hit 400 not long after foiling; closed vents most of the way and let the temps come down somewhat - back to 365-375. Because of the higher temps and the relative thinness of the brisket I checked for done sooner than usual - about 3:15 into the cook (just an hour after foiliing). Done at 3:30 total. Poured off most of the juices that the meat exuded (about 1.5 c) and rested, tented, about 30 min.

Opened with roasted corn with chipotle mayo:

Sliced on the board:

While the brisket cooked I made sauce, tomato-based, with caramelized onion, roasted red bell, pear, and starfruit, with a little chipotle, plus I added a good dose of captured defatted juices:

Plated with the sauce, roasted broccoli spears, roasted new yellow potatoes:

IMG00651-20101024-1915.jpg

A few days ago, a salad of spinach and rocket, sweet onion, pear and toasted almond, sauvignon blanc vinegar-maple syrup vinaigrette; meatloaf with sautéed crimini mushrooms, with roasted cauliflower and asparagus, garlic mashed Yukon Golds:

IMG00625-20101021-2025.jpg

And last week, or thereabouts, a salad of spinach, sweet onion, avocado, fig vinaigrette; grill-roasted rubbed bone-in chicken breast, freeform pasta, asparagus sauce with asparagus tips:

IMG00620-20101020-1848.jpg

Like viewing a menu from Gramercy Tavern or Craft or Peter Luger's or Wolfgang's Steakhouse...
Kevin, those spinach plates are Way-Pass-WOW! I simply LOVE Spinach-anything!

Breathless!! Is there a sampler plate
icon_razz.gif
?!

Kevin,

Beautiful plates! I realize this is probably the least exciting of everything you made, but how did you roast the broccoli? We've tried a few recipes but were never happy with the results. Thanks!

Jon

Very nice cooks, and ideas presented Kevin!

Here's to hoping that some, if not all, were kick-back, back-yard in nature.
It always sounds like your busy schedule leaves very little down time.

Anybody know how to get fork-marks out of an LCD Monitor?

Looking at Kevin's pictures - I guess I just temporarily lost my mind.....
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">.... but what is Rocket ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Arugula

Nice cooks Kevin! Appreciate the inspiration.

Yes. AKA roquette.

Thanks all. Yes, Bob. All were pretty relaxed. All were for me. For clients it's different, often - and I can't take pics. Jon, the broccoli was simply tossed in evoo and roasted ~400, seasoned halfway along. The head I used was young - thin stalks - so I simply peeled them but left them whole, piercing the stalks in a few places with a thin-tipped knife to facilitate cooking. If the stalks were thick I would have removed them.

Last night, leftovers. I made some roasted corn guacamole

and some enchilada sauce (NM and guajillo chilies, a little fresh tomato)

and some tortillas

Then I spooned some sauce in a roasting pan. Some I mixed with water in another pan, heated, then lightly simmered the tortillas, a few at a time, in the sauce before stacking them in the roaster, 3 high, with one layer of leftover mashed potatoes, another of the guac topped with the last of the chopped brisket flat. A little cheese, then a 350 oven till the cheese melted--

IMG00657-20101026-1925.jpg

IMG00659-20101026-1932.jpg

Kevin,

First off, thanks for your contributions to this board. I'm new to smoking and found a treasure trove of info in your posts. I've found much more useful ( and tasty ) info than in any of the books I've read- you oughta consider writing one your self

About putting the meat on as soon as you do- especially since you use Kingsford- isn't the odor that it puts off pretty bad just after lighting and aren't you concerned about it affecting the food?

Man that looks good. Kevin...What's the advantage of salting first? Is it that the moisture creates a better bark?

steven- I'm glad you've found my posts useful. I don't use K blue; I sometimes use Comp K or I use one lump or the other. I have not found a problem. Also, if doing a Minion, one can certainly wait till the cooker is up to temp but all the coals still won't be lit - so whatever supposed issue there is with unlit coals slowing lighting will still exist. Why wait?

I have never understood waiting for the cooker to come to temp when doing a Minion start - something I do for nearly all cooks. A key point is getting the meat mass in there so its affect on the cooker is dealt with right from the get-go. Another point is that one usually gets a better ring, especially if the meat is cold. A third is that one loads and assembles all at once - no dicking around with loading and lid later, so once you know how your cooker usually fares you can make an adjustment or two as the temp nears target and then go do something else. (I am not one to hang around the cooker; I've better things to do so want to get it going, adjust when needed - in the above brisket cook I cracked the door after it hit 275 - and get on with other stuff.)

If the smokewood used is questionable one can ignite it in the chimney with the start-up lit. Not something I do but some prefer this approach.

Bill- I make all rubs without salt. I salt the meat first, separately. When the salt draws moisture to the surface, after several minutes, I apply the rub over the salt. The moisture causes the rub to adhere well - no wasted mustard as people do when they slather first, imo - and I can control both the salt level upfront, and the amount of rub applied. Lightly rubbing or heavily rubbing is fine. Since the rub doesn't contain salt, the salt level is unaffected as salting occurs first. With typical recipes and storebought rubs one has far less control - one is stuck with the salt:rub ratio in the mix.

did you use fresh or dried peppers for your enchilada sauce? I guess if they're fresh I could check out some of my local mexi markets but I have dried in the pantry

Inspiring stuff Kevin. Thanks for sharing. I absolutely love those leftovers!

Back