Recent cooks

Kevin, I totally agree on not waiting for the cooker to come up to temp. I dump the lit charcoal and put the meat on right away as well. I've found that the slow, steady climb up to temp means just some small vent adjustments along the way rather than watching like a hawk and trying to compensate for big temp spikes.

Absolutely outstanding looking leftovers. There's probably enchilada sauce recipes on the site here somewhere.

I would have thought you might blanch the vegetables before roasting - but they certainly look good as plated.

Anyway it all looks delicious - thanks for posting.

One question - the fig vinaigrette - were the figs fresh or dried ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:
did you use fresh or dried peppers for your enchilada sauce? I guess if they're fresh I could check out some of my local mexi markets but I have dried in the pantry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dried. I used the recipe titled Red #2 in ths post.

Mark, I rarely blanch before roasting. It depends on the veg but pretty much never. The fig vinaigrette was made from fig vinegar.

I much prefer cooking whole chickens - but dislike the ubiquitous 4- and 5-pound chickens that are so typical. Give me a 2-2.5-pounder. Cooked whole then simply split after cooking - my favorite.

This was a 2.2-pound chicken. Rubbed under and over the skin with compound butter. Cooked at ~450. With a warm brown rice-spinach salad...

IMG00667-20101028-1955.jpg

After saucing with a fresh peach-caramelized onion sauce--

IMG00672-20101028-1957.jpg

And, last night, chili, in which I included a couple finely chopped ripe starfruit, over carnaroli rice--

IMG00673-20101029-1908.jpg

Your plates just look soo sensational Kevin! Honestly!!
Now, the spinach you use,... just from the produce dept or ??
Thank you for sharing
icon_smile.gif

I'm not sure which page or chapter for that matter I would order from your 5 star menu!!! Outstanding food, ingredients and results!

Kevin, OUTSTANDING. All of it.
Can you please tell me how to make the sauvignon blanc vinegar-maple syrup vinaigrette? That sounds so great.

Dang, you've certainly been holding out on us.

I got to say your cooking has a style unique to you. You're on another level, and its fun getting little glimpses of what you do.

Thanks. Well, it's what I do at one home or the other. Pretty basic stuff for me. I'm usually cooking for two, occasionally three, and I'm always doing other things so I tend to do things that aren't too involved.

Jim-- Yes, just the produce department.

michele-- Just a basic vinaigrette: a couple tablespoons of sauvignon blanc vinegar, a couple teaspoons of Vermont maple syrup, a half-teaspoon of Dijon, salt and pepper, whisk all together well, then emulsify some good evoo in. That's it. (SBV is often available at WF or it's here. It's already a sweetish vin so, especially if adding more sweet, use on or with things to add counterpoint.)

Back