Re-certify Propane Tank in Atlanta Area?

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
I've been calling around a few places trying to get a propane tank re-certified, but am not having any luck.

I called the big AmeriGas office in Canton, GA and they said they do not re-certify small household tanks, LAME!

AmeriGas is the only propane company I know of in this area. Anyone else have any ideas for the Atlanta, GA area?

This is a small 5 pound propane cylinder. It has the OPD valve on it and its very clean and rust free. Date stamp is 2005. The guy at the local refill was a very by-the-book guy and said mine was out of date.

I called the big AmeriGas office in Canton, GA and they said they do not re-certify small household tanks, LAME!
Did you point them to their own website? Absurd.
  1. Visit www.amerigas.com/propane-locations and enter your zip code to find the nearest AmeriGas location.
  2. Contact your local office to schedule your re-certification appointment.
  3. Bring your tank into your local office for recertification. You’ll receive a sticker on your tank with the inspection date and recertification date.
  4. Once your tank has been recertified, it’s time to get grilling!

Just swap it out.

I had an old tank that I hadn't used in years and was not re-fillable/safe any more. Still had propane in it.

Took it to the gas station and did a swap. Blue Rhino will literally tank any kind of tank.

So I got a new, shiny, clean, certified tank and also a propane fill for $15. A new empty tank costs $35.

And my new shiny tank can be filled anywhere going forward. I'm not locked into going back to Blue Rhino.

P.S. -- sorry, I now see you have the small tank. Rhino only does the 20#-ers.

Did you point them to their own website? Absurd.
  1. Visit www.amerigas.com/propane-locations and enter your zip code to find the nearest AmeriGas location.
  2. Contact your local office to schedule your re-certification appointment.
  3. Bring your tank into your local office for recertification. You’ll receive a sticker on your tank with the inspection date and recertification date.
  4. Once your tank has been recertified, it’s time to get grilling!

I found the phone number for the big regional office in this area in Canton, GA. They are the ones that said they don't re-certify household tanks.
I just wrote an email to the the main (I think) corporate office. Hoping they can point me in the right direction.

Just swap it out.

I had an old tank that I hadn't used in years and was not re-fillable/safe any more. Still had propane in it.

Took it to the gas station and did a swap. Blue Rhino will literally tank any kind of tank.

So I got a new, shiny, clean, certified tank and also a propane fill for $15. A new empty tank costs $35.

And my new shiny tank can be filled anywhere going forward. I'm not locked into going back to Blue Rhino.

P.S. -- sorry, I now see you have the small tank. Rhino only does the 20#-ers.
I've done that plenty of times with standard size tanks, but this is a small 5 pound tank, not the standard 20 pound. I don't think anyone around here exchanges the smaller tanks.

Called another AmeriGas locations on the other side of the state. They said they used to re-certify tanks, but decided to no longer to offer that service.

I think I'll just try to go get it filled a different hardware store and see if I can find someone that doesn't check the dates.

Done at your own risk.

Or lots of videos online...Google "DIY refill 5 lb propane tank"

Done at your own risk.

Or lots of videos online...Google "DIY refill 5 lb propane tank"
Thank you for the link. I actually worked at an Ace for 10 year and have refilled 100s of propane tanks. I actually went to the Ace Corporate center in Gainesville, GA to get certified in refilling. Just never have filled another tank from another tank, besides refilling on of those small green disposable tanks from a 20 lb-er. I'll check out that thread for sure.

My buddy took my SS Performer 5gal propane tank to get refilled at the local spot, he was turned away as it was out of date.
I went to the same local spot with the same 5 gal propane tank the next day and they filled it no problem.
Flip the coin....

I’d try a few different places before I went to the hassle of certification. Back when my Costco was doing propane, I just gave my tanks away to a buddy after they “expired”. The savings on propane more than paid for it. You could never get an “expired” tank past Costco. I realize your tank is specialized, not a 20 pounder.

You might try asking one of the food truck guys if you see one stopped somewhere. They run larger 100lb tanks and also have to get them recertified. 4-5 years ago I had a tank recertified and used the amerigas in Doraville. But, I had to schedule dropping it off and it took them a week or two before they gave it back.

I’d try a few different places before I went to the hassle of certification. Back when my Costco was doing propane, I just gave my tanks away to a buddy after they “expired”. The savings on propane more than paid for it. You could never get an “expired” tank past Costco. I realize your tank is specialized, not a 20 pounder.

I bet that this is more likely to work with a 20lb tank in good shape. But the 5lb probably is odd enough to where it will get checked by most.
If a 20lb expires I just take it to a propane tank prefill swap, check the tanks for one that has a recent stamp and trade it out.

Has anyone actually had their tank recertified? What exactly do they do? Just look it over and then stamp it? Or do they run some tests?

I know Amerigas recertifies tanks around me. You drop the tank off and they send it somewhere and a couple days later you get it back with the new recert markings. I am not sure what they do to recertify a tank, but it costs about $12-$15 I think.

Back