Rare Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center 24" w/ Cover - Excellent - $1,400

This is/was Weber's attempt to enter the Big Green Egg (BGE) ceramic grill market. They came in uber high on their pricing (in my opinion) and the product never really went anywhere. You basically have a ceramic grill mounted on a modified performer platform. The loyal die hard Weber fans that have them love them, for the price they're asking for this used grill/smoker, you could go to Academy and get a brand new Komodo joe (or whatever their brand is)
Tim
I don’t think the Summit is ceramic. It’s like a double walled kettle. Much lighter and less likely to break or crack than a ceramic grill.
The more I read about the Summit, the more I want one. I have no interest in getting a BGE.

I don’t think the Summit is ceramic. It’s like a double walled kettle. Much lighter and less likely to break or crack than a ceramic grill.
The more I read about the Summit, the more I want one. I have no interest in getting a BGE.
Definitely not ceramic, your correct it is double walled. How far is this one from you? That’s a good price for a Gen 1.

Definitely not ceramic, your correct it is double walled. How far is this one from you? That’s a good price for a Gen 1.
It’s a 4 hour drive, one way. So going to pass on this one. One popped up a couple months ago in my area, but wasn’t set on getting one then. Might have to jump on one next time it comes up. I’ll have to sell off a couple of my grills to justify the purchase though

It’s a 4 hour drive, one way. So going to pass on this one. One popped up a couple months ago in my area, but wasn’t set on getting one then. Might have to jump on one next time it comes up. I’ll have to sell off a couple of my grills to justify the purchase though
That would be a long drive I get that. I decoded to sell a performer and the 18 WSM to help justify. Probably should unload another... Hope you find a good one closer to home. These really are nice cookers

I spent the better part of 3 months convincing my wife to let me buy it. She agreed Saturday night but it was too late, the seller already had an appointment with a prospective buyer Sunday morning. Hope it went to a good home... If the buyer sees this and is feeling buyers remorse, I’ll take it off your hands :)

I ordered a performer delux and SNS platinum bundle to help with the grief.

I'm glad it's gone. It was close enough that I could have justified the drive, but there were more reasons against buying it than for buying it. Although "I want it " generally is enough, to be honest. 😏

I spent the better part of 3 months convincing my wife to let me buy it. She agreed Saturday night but it was too late, the seller already had an appointment with a prospective buyer Sunday morning. Hope it went to a good home... If the buyer sees this and is feeling buyers remorse, I’ll take it off your hands :)

I ordered a performer delux and SNS platinum bundle to help with the grief.

That's a very nice compromise!

Never understood the science of a double wall kamado style grill. I’ve had a akorn kooker that had good reviews but eventually rusted after 2 years. Picked up a ceramic kamado from Costco and never looked back. The ceramic will only crack if you are moving it around (which you should not anyway) and exposing it to heat greater than 700. With that being said, not sure why Weber would come out with a line like this. The market is already established with the likes of BGE, KJ and others. Weber’s price point was way higher that those. Whoever picked this up likely is a Weber fan with stimulus money to spend.

Never understood the science of a double wall kamado style grill. I’ve had a akorn kooker that had good reviews but eventually rusted after 2 years. Picked up a ceramic kamado from Costco and never looked back. The ceramic will only crack if you are moving it around (which you should not anyway) and exposing it to heat greater than 700. With that being said, not sure why Weber would come out with a line like this. The market is already established with the likes of BGE, KJ and others. Weber’s price point was way higher that those. Whoever picked this up likely is a Weber fan with stimulus money to spend.

I don't know much about ceramic grills and I don't own a Summit, but have read about the Summit.

I know the Summit is pretty big with a 24" grate. Is a comparable sized ceramic much cheaper than the summit?
It also has a nice stainless steel table with a propane charcoal starter (like the Performers). Most the kamado style grills I've seen don't come with a table, and if they do they are those big chunky wooden ones that cost another $500+.
Summit also has the ash bucket like the kettles, which is easy to dump/clean out.
And if I'm dropping over $1K+ on a grill I'd like to be able to crank up the heat to 700 or as hot as I want to.
Weber also has a pretty nice warranty and service department.
There are a lot more pros to buying the Summit than just someone having stimulus money.

I'm not buying a Summit at full price, but I also don't plan on owning a ceramic grill either.

I don't know much about ceramic grills and I don't own a Summit, but have read about the Summit.

I know the Summit is pretty big with a 24" grate. Is a comparable sized ceramic much cheaper than the summit?
It also has a nice stainless steel table with a propane charcoal starter (like the Performers). Most the kamado style grills I've seen don't come with a table, and if they do they are those big chunky wooden ones that cost another $500+.
Summit also has the ash bucket like the kettles, which is easy to dump/clean out.
And if I'm dropping over $1K+ on a grill I'd like to be able to crank up the heat to 700 or as hot as I want to.
Weber also has a pretty nice warranty and service department.
There are a lot more pros to buying the Summit than just someone having stimulus money.

I'm not buying a Summit at full price, but I also don't plan on owning a ceramic grill either.

Full disclaimer, I don’t want to come off as bashing this unit. I’m just giving my experience on cooking on a kamado. It’s different than using a wsm or a kettle. Most will use it for long smokes. So it’s meant to cook low and slow. I’m sure this thing will lock in at those nice low temps given the quality of metal.
I will say that if Weber is able to get some accessories or 3rd party parts for it, it may gain traction in the market.

I got mine for $800, which I figured was the steal of the century. Got it from a friend, truly had never been used. The shrink wrap was still on the vent. I’ve smoked a variety of things on it, could conceivably replace my WSM and my Performer. But I love them, so not letting them go any time soon. Have had to learn to manage the temps, still getting used to it, but so far love everything about it

About 4 mos and change ago there was one for sale very and I mean very close to Kyle and myself for 1k did not last long. I did not see it before it was gone for sure might have been a tough sell for the wife but if something like that was to show up again for 1k probably might ask for forgiveness once I had it home. :)

Would sell the performer and junk my UDS smoker keep the Silver C for the wife since I might as well leave home now if that disappeared off the deck. To me that is the perfect grill I just can't get into the pellet grills try as I might. I'm 67 so its a tougher decision to lay that kind of cash out for the Summit but got 2 girls so at the worst they could fight over it when I am gone or their husbands could only one is married.

Back