Rare Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center 24" w/ Cover - Excellent - $1,400

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member

00Q0Q_aa35eUnTN07_0CI0z4_600x450.jpg

00V0V_jbdCzpsPRuO_0CI0uR_600x450.jpg

I saw one about a month ago in DC area, IT LOOKED BRAND NEW, ad said that she got it for her husband and he used it twice in the last two years so she's selling it. $1500 was the asking price, it didn't last long which surprised me a little bit.

Will something like this take the place of a WSM?
Yes it would. Look are the below thread, look at the #15 post from Dustin who has all three WSM sizes, and the Weber charcoal summit.

I’d definitely have a sell off.
Man oh man, I have been worried about when these guys started to come up for sale used. I have a fraction of the money in my grill set up of what even a used one would cost, but man do I love those guys. Every time I go into the bbq shop it have to stop and look at it!

Man oh man, I have been worried about when these guys started to come up for sale used. I have a fraction of the money in my grill set up of what even a used one would cost, but man do I love those guys. Every time I go into the bbq shop it have to stop and look at it!
I’m right there with you. I get an 😇 and a 😈 on each shoulder. But I’m certain I would never hear the end of it, and it would cost me much more in the long run.

Will something like this take the place of a WSM?
Depends. You’d give up some overall capacity versus a 22-inch WSM (1-24 inch cooking grid vs 2-22 Inch). And if you use aftermarket utilities that make your WSM more flexible then you sacrifice even more.

For example I have a Hunsaker rib hanger and vortex plate for my 22-inch WSM. I can easily cook 12 full racks of ribs with space to spare.......and probably fit 15 if I wanted. With a third grate I could probably do 10 half chickens on the WSM. This would be very difficult to do in a Summit,

After seeing RMiles review of the Gen 2 if you are remotely in the market this is good price. As for the cooker itself it is an absolute dream to cook on and there is quality top to bottom. The charcoal grate alone will last over 10,000 cooks! No expense was spared. I have had this grill now for 9 months and I have grilled and cooked just about everything I cooked on my fleet of Weber’s before and it does just as well if not better than most.

The mini ranch which was my go to grill for everything including smoking brisket and pork ribs has only been used once since. And the WSM Not at all.

1300 bucks is a lot I get it. I was fortunate and only paid 999 at my local Ace and I agonized over it. Knowing what I know now I would have paid 1400 for it. Weber pulled all the stops. The hinge is first class, there is a place to hang both the cooking grate and the removable center section. There is a 3/4” hole capped below the charcoal grate for an ATC. I have heard the comparison to the performer. The thick SS table, heavy duty casters and wheeels along with the snap jet charcoal starter really are head and shoulders above the performer.

It’s quality for sure but beyond that it is a fine grill and smoker. It holds temps amazingly with slow and low and I’ve had it up to 600 plus for searing steaks. Pizzas would be a piece of cake. Very fuel efficient too. I use half the coals for a brisket cook than I would on the 22 WSM.

Rusty looks like this is in your home state...YOU NEED THIS COOKER :) :) :)

So, in essence, this is a smoker (and a grill among other things) with an ash catcher?

Removing ashes during a smoke sounds great.
Here is the thing though because it is insulted double layer steel, it is so efficient that you use a lot less charcoal and have to worry about ash build up near as much. But yeah you could do it!

This is/was Weber's attempt to enter the Big Green Egg (BGE) ceramic grill market. They came in uber high on their pricing (in my opinion) and the product never really went anywhere. You basically have a ceramic grill mounted on a modified performer platform. The loyal die hard Weber fans that have them love them, for the price they're asking for this used grill/smoker, you could go to Academy and get a brand new Komodo joe (or whatever their brand is)
Tim

Back