Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

4:30 am Saturday. Awake because, 45 minutes ago some @$$#©£€ decided now would be a great time to light some fireworks. Professional fireworks - where even the launch mortar was loud.
What is wrong with people?!?

That's been going on around here for several days now. Unfortunately it isn't going to stop until about a week after July fourth. Some areas around here will sound like a war zone on the fourth. It's crazy considering many counties have a ban on fireworks of any kind. And places that allow them only allow what they call safe and sane. fountain types that don't spray more than three feet high. Little crackers, snakes, colored smoke, things like that. The fines and penalties are steep for illegal fireworks in CA, yet thousands around my county alone do it every year.

Just wondering if any of these would make good security cameras...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083HZTN8W/?tag=TVWB-20

61RiTeKsuLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have a Ring door bell and Wyze Cam in my garage. They work BUT in both cases I am disappointed. These cams are not what they're cracked up to be. They are FAR from instantaneous. By the time they tell you a person was detected either the person (that you hope is not a bad guy) is gone or in your house, the recording begins so late they usually (75%) of the time totally miss the "threat". Honestly they're more novelty than anything else. Because they don't report or do anything until whatever they see has gone through some FAR FAR remote server. If they truly did everything on your own local network I think they would be better.

Did anyone within 100 ~ 200 miles of Sparta, NC feel the 5.1 earthquake this morning?

:oops:

Last edited:
That must have rattled a lot of nerves given the lack of seismic activity in the area historically. A 5.1 would cause very little damage around southern California, but we have the building codes for it. Then again, if a hurricane hit SoCal, even a Cat. 1, every single roof would get blown off I'm sure. I feel awful for the people with substantial damage, they are about to find out that earthquakes aren't covered by insurance. Brick/rock masonry construction and earthquakes do not mix well. There's very little of it out here.

That must have rattled a lot of nerves given the lack of seismic activity in the area historically. A 5.1 would cause very little damage around southern California, but we have the building codes for it.

Not sure what the magnitude level was miles outside of the epicenter, but I personally have never heard of a quake that strong around here in my lifetime. 5.1 is the big one for us. 😬

I remember the quake of 1968, but I can't remember how strong it was.

There is a fault line running northwest from Charleston, SC that passes through our area, but I think yesterday's quake was connected to a different tectonic plate according to a YouTube video.

I have a 30 gallon aquarium that I *may* disassemble after experiencing the Sparta quake. 😕

Last edited:
For the record, Sparta, NC is one of the most beautiful towns (and the surrounding countryside) I have ever seen. If you are ever in the area, check it out.

Back