Rack of lamb, because we really like it

Buddy, that’s my favorite cut of lamb! I have found the “Scotta Ditta” style from the “Union Square Cafe” cook book is truly amazing! It’s so good that when I went to NYC I had to go there to see if they had “secreted” something from the published recipe! They were FULLY, HONESTLY clear with that one!
I had seen Mario Batali do a very similar treatment and cannot recommend the “Method” more exuberantly!
I’ve got two racks in the freezer right now, I about due for a feast of MY liking!

These were Costco. I’d assume your Costco Carrie’s the same product?
Back when I lived not to far from you in Knights Landing, we would get them from the Costco in Woodland. Now having moved to south Texas, closest Costco is in San Antonio about three hours away. We really miss Costco. And trader Joe's. And nugget. And having any option besides HEB. You should have seen the look I got the other day when a young lady asked if I needed help. I asked where I could find couscous. Well, let's just say it's not here. But luckily we have wild fork and thrive market that deliver so it all works out. But yeah, I'd love to see a Costco come to Corpus.

Brett you picked one of my top one foods to eat and grill. And yours looks to be done perfectly.
Excellent color and so juicy.
I got to cook this again soon, thank you for the inspriation

Back when I lived not to far from you in Knights Landing, we would get them from the Costco in Woodland. Now having moved to south Texas, closest Costco is in San Antonio about three hours away. We really miss Costco. And trader Joe's. And nugget. And having any option besides HEB. You should have seen the look I got the other day when a young lady asked if I needed help. I asked where I could find couscous. Well, let's just say it's not here. But luckily we have wild fork and thrive market that deliver so it all works out. But yeah, I'd love to see a Costco come to Corpus.
I had to look up your location. Only 8,000 people! Wow! I don’t think I could live there. A little small from what I’m used to. I understand why you’re mail ordering the good stuff.

Costco is going to open up another location here just outside of EDH off hwy 50. The population is growing so quickly on the 50 from Rancho Cordova up through EDH and south of 50 in Folsom.

Maybe it’s worth doing a quarterly Costco run and buying a freezer just to stash and load up on Costco runs?

I’m betting there’s no lavender flavored ice cream by you either 😃

If any Las Vegas people are reading this, you got to hit Sorry, Not Sorry for ice cream. 10/10 ⭐

Brett you picked one of my top one foods to eat and grill. And yours looks to be done perfectly.
Excellent color and so juicy.
I got to cook this again soon, thank you for the inspriation
My next pull will be at 123° for even more pink. This was my best rack ever. Nice crusted seasoning. The indirect to around 90° and then searing and moving the rack to develop the crust without burning the rack. One more reason we rarely eat out anymore. The food and wine are better at home. Post your pics when you do yours.

I have one more rack left. So I’ll do this again by the end of April.

Here’s the winery and bottle link. Highly recommend this wine.

And I just checked my storage. I had this 2019 at a recent tasting at Scott Harvey and I bought a case of it. I fully endorse this 2019! It will easily hold its own 9 years+ if you want to age some.

Last edited:
Those look fantastic. I haven’t cooked a rack whole in years. Lately, I cut the chops off in singles and/or doubles and grill them as chops. I might have to try grilling the whole rack again.

Buddy, that’s my favorite cut of lamb! I have found the “Scotta Ditta” style from the “Union Square Cafe” cook book is truly amazing! It’s so good that when I went to NYC I had to go there to see if they had “secreted” something from the published recipe! They were FULLY, HONESTLY clear with that one!
I had seen Mario Batali do a very similar treatment and cannot recommend the “Method” more exuberantly!
I’ve got two racks in the freezer right now, I about due for a feast of MY liking!
Dug that recipe up.

I am so partial to not adding any flavors to lamb. My recipe and method really enhances the lamb flavor so that It shines through on its own. I’ll have to find a YouTube cook of your recipe for more info. My cooking style is to always let the protein shine on its own. I refer to it as California Rustic. Small enhancements to bring out the natural protein flavors. The less is more model.

Those look fantastic. I haven’t cooked a rack whole in years. Lately, I cut the chops off in singles and/or doubles and grill them as chops. I might have to try grilling the whole rack again.
If you’re buying at Costco, find the largest rack they have. This was just shy of 3#. I lightly trimmed the fat cap to create a more even cap layer. Gently score the cap but try to avoid scoring the meat. Hatch pattern on the score. Countertop dry brine with all seasonings for an hour is all it needs. Pull at 123°, tent and rest 5 minutes. After slicing the rack, very lightly add some finishing salt. Very lightly!

I served this with smashed boiled red potatoes, some butter, black pepper, salt and a dollop of sour cream on them. And some pan roasted beets.

Here’s the winery and bottle link. Highly recommend this wine.

And I just checked my storage. I had this 2019 at a recent tasting at Scott Harvey and I bought a case of it. I fully endorse this 2019! It will easily hold its own 9 years+ if you want to age some.

Interesting to see a little Syrah in there. I normally add some Petite Sirah to my Zin to give it a little more oomph.

Back