Rack of lamb, because we really like it

This!
Plus it now costs an arm and a leg to go out and eat.
Grate looking lamb Brett. Did you have mint sauce on the side?
Oh no, Tony! To me, mint is the toothpaste the dentist uses. Let the lamb shine through! No mint needed.

Now, mint tea? Sure. Boil water and add fresh mint and let it soak. I’m down for that. Or with Vietnamese egg rolls and dipping sauce. Sure.

Au contraire Brett. You'd be run out of town over here if you didn't serve, "fresh", mint sauce on the **side. (Not that gloopy, sweet, jelly abomination found in supermarkets). :sick:
Just a smidge on the end of a knife, then onto the lamb just before you stick it in yer pie-hole! Yum. 😋

** I'm not a fan of any meat being slathered/masked in sauce, (inc. bbq sauce). I'm a confirmed dipper when it comes to steaks, chops, wings, ribs etc etc.

Dug that recipe up.

I am so partial to not adding any flavors to lamb. My recipe and method really enhances the lamb flavor so that It shines through on its own. I’ll have to find a YouTube cook of your recipe for more info. My cooking style is to always let the protein shine on its own. I refer to it as California Rustic. Small enhancements to bring out the natural protein flavors. The less is more model.
Bret I am with you this statement Lamb has a flavor all its own , and with seasoning's you ,or do not put on brings out that natural flavor I bet those guys smelled unbelievable on that grill. and your sides sound to be a great fit for this rack also.

One more reason we rarely eat out anymore. The food and wine are better at home. Post your pics when you do yours.
That was one of the major motivations for me to start cooking in the first place: the realization that I could make better food than I could afford to buy in a restaurant. (The fact that I live in the boonies, and there are no good restaurants anywhere nearby, was also a factor!)

I think it's time to try some lamb on the WSK...

Au contraire Brett. You'd be run out of town over here if you didn't serve, "fresh", mint sauce on the **side. (Not that gloopy, sweet, jelly abomination found in supermarkets). :sick:
Just a smidge on the end of a knife, then onto the lamb just before you stick it in yer pie-hole! Yum. 😋

** I'm not a fan of any meat being slathered/masked in sauce, (inc. bbq sauce). I'm a confirmed dipper when it comes to steaks, chops, wings, ribs etc etc.
I saw that the mint goes with smashed peas. That I’d try! Anything to make peas better is a winner! I know our friends across the pond like to dip. I am partial to having HP sauce with my fish and chips. Although I’m sure your fish is better by you. I can share the fish i had in Alaska last summer had the most amazing halibut fish and chips. The fish was so fresh and the crunch was superb. New level for me to replicate one day.

Last edited:
@Brett-EDH - thank you so much for posting this thread recently. I saw this thread at the same that I was thinking about making lamb for the very first time. It seemed achievable (as opposed to some of your other feasts which are way out of my league), and you made some great notes for success. Between this and talking about the sear option on my pellet grill with some other members recently, I took the plunge today. Unfortunately, no one else in my house likes lamb, so I did it today while the kids were at school and my wife was at work. Not a bad way to spend my lunch while working from home.

Wasn't cheap, but I got $5 off the package at Costco a couple of weeks ago:
PXL_20230428_162408406.jpg
PXL_20230428_163053377.jpg

Seasoned it with SPG&RM. Set the pellet grill at 300 and let it cook until IT of 100 (about 20 minutes), then pulled it off and let it rest for about 5 minutes while I increased the set temp and opened up the searing grate over the burn pot. IT rose to about 107 before I put it back on the grill.
PXL_20230428_165513559.jpg
PXL_20230428_171933743.jpg
PXL_20230428_172035418.jpg

I was getting a bit more variation on my IT than I was expecting when testing with my instant read. It was somewhere between 124-138, depending on where I poked it. I was expecting it to be overcooked, but it was just about perfect for me. I know some people like it more rare, but this is about where I wanted it, so I got really lucky.
PXL_20230428_172344197.jpg
PXL_20230428_172839261.jpg
PXL_20230428_172845984.jpg

Couple of notes for next time. For some reason, I totally didn't see that you wrapped the bones in foil. Now I can see why. I also overseasoned it a little bit. I don't think I was getting the full taste of the lamb through the salt, so I'd back off a little bit next time.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I had to give you props for helping me do this. It was an absolutely amazing meal that I will try again when I'm home alone and it's a nice day. Thank you!

@Brett-EDH - thank you so much for posting this thread recently. I saw this thread at the same that I was thinking about making lamb for the very first time. It seemed achievable (as opposed to some of your other feasts which are way out of my league), and you made some great notes for success. Between this and talking about the sear option on my pellet grill with some other members recently, I took the plunge today. Unfortunately, no one else in my house likes lamb, so I did it today while the kids were at school and my wife was at work. Not a bad way to spend my lunch while working from home.

View attachment 69743
View attachment 69749

Seasoned it with SPG&RM. Set the pellet grill at 300 and let it cook until IT of 100 (about 20 minutes), then pulled it off and let it rest for about 5 minutes while I increased the set temp and opened up the searing grate over the burn pot. IT rose to about 107 before I put it back on the grill.
View attachment 69750
View attachment 69751
View attachment 69752

I was getting a bit more variation on my IT than I was expecting when testing with my instant read. It was somewhere between 124-138, depending on where I poked it. I was expecting it to be overcooked, but it was just about perfect for me. I know some people like it more rare, but this is about where I wanted it, so I got really lucky.
View attachment 69756
View attachment 69757
View attachment 69753

Couple of notes for next time. For some reason, I totally didn't see that you wrapped the bones in foil. Now I can see why. I also overseasoned it a little bit. I don't think I was getting the full taste of the lamb through the salt, so I'd back off a little bit next time.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I had to give you props for helping me do this. It was an absolutely amazing meal that I will try again when I'm home alone and it's a nice day. Thank you!
please, no need to apologize for any threadjack! i'm happy you cooked this!!!

looks to me like to nailed this 100%! expertly done for a new lamb cook. now that you've got this one under belt, your next one will be even better.

yes, foiling the bones is key. i won't share any pics of the bones i incinerated years ago on my S670 Summit. suffice it to say, i learned to keep the bones away from direct heat and wrapped in foil until the final searing to crisp up the residual bone fat from the frenching.

small suggestion, do the dry brine and let it sit countertop for 45 mins. the lamb will better absorb the salt.

did you slightly score the fat cap? and sometimes you have to trip the fat cap so it's more even across the rack which will help reduce the flare ups.

another trick is to very lightly salt the cut lolipops if you didn't let the dry brine penetrate enough pre-cook.

and final little secret. hand held torch. a hand held torch will allow you to even up the searing and make perfect bones/fat on the frenched exposed bones without the risk of burning the bones. i've really gotten into using my torch a lot recently. kind of like a painter uses a fine trim brush for small touch ups.

i'd be really happy to eat what you made here, so CONGRATS on stepping out and up in your game. hopefully you enjoyed some nice wine with the lamb. a good red will cut that fat layer in your mouth and make for a next level meal.

looking forward to more of your cooks and thanks for the mention. i am happy at least a few members are inspired to try what i make and post here!

side note; no one ever goes on a date and says, "she was so cheap and awesome!" so you're in good company here. buy quality food and enjoy the experience(s). you'll eat better than any restaurant and enjoy the fruits of your labor. live a good life as we're here for a good time, not a long time.

Last edited:
Brett so many tips and this is for just onevtype of food cook, which happens to one of myball time favote meals, along with Kalbi, and a perfect skirt stak for tacos.
Plus a few more when I am eatingvatvyour place.
Now I am in the hunt for WSK.

Brett so many tips and this is for just onevtype of food cook, which happens to one of myball time favote meals, along with Kalbi, and a perfect skirt stak for tacos.
Plus a few more when I am eatingvatvyour place.
Now I am in the hunt for WSK.
Maybe @Chris Allingham has a referral link to Weber so the site can benefit.

The WSK is all that and more. I do love cooking on mine.

side note; no one ever goes on a date and says, "she was so cheap and awesome!" so you're in good company here. buy quality food and enjoy the experience(s). you'll eat better than any restaurant and enjoy the fruits of your labor. live a good life as we're here for a good time, not a long time.
Good point. And still way cheaper than going out to eat. I think I felt a little guilty because I was buying just for me instead of the whole family. :)

please, no need to apologize for any threadjack! i'm happy you cooked this!!!

looks to me like to nailed this 100%! expertly done for a new lamb cook. now that you've got this one under belt, your next one will be even better.

yes, foiling the bones is key. i won't share any pics of the bones i incinerated years ago on my S670 Summit. suffice it to say, i learned to keep the bones away from direct heat and wrapped in foil until the final searing to crisp up the residual bone fat from the frenching.

small suggestion, do the dry brine and let it sit countertop for 45 mins. the lamb will better absorb the salt.

did you slightly score the fat cap? and sometimes you have to trip the fat cap so it's more even across the rack which will help reduce the flare ups.

another trick is to very lightly salt the cut lolipops if you didn't let the dry brine penetrate enough pre-cook.

and final little secret. hand held torch. a hand held torch will allow you to even up the searing and make perfect bones/fat on the frenched exposed bones without the risk of burning the bones. i've really gotten into using my torch a lot recently. kind of like a painter uses a fine trim brush for small touch ups.

i'd be really happy to eat what you made here, so CONGRATS on stepping out and up in your game. hopefully you enjoyed some nice wine with the lamb. a good red will cut that fat layer in your mouth and make for a next level meal.

looking forward to more of your cooks and thanks for the mention. i am happy at least a few members are inspired to try what i make and post here!
Thanks for the kind words.

I did trim the fat a little bit, but in hindsight could have taken off a bit more. Not sure what is normal since this is the first lamb I've ever worked with, but it seemed well trimmed right from the package and I just tried to even out the cap a little bit. Yes, I did score it.

Good point on the brine. I was able to let it sit on the counter for about 20-30 minutes while I was prepping the grill, but I'm sure a little more time would help get the salt into the interior of the meat.

I do have a Searzall torch, but rarely think about using it. I originally bought to sear proteins after sous vide, but it isn't very efficient for doing the entire cut. But I could see it's benefit for just evening things up in small areas. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words.

I did trim the fat a little bit, but in hindsight could have taken off a bit more. Not sure what is normal since this is the first lamb I've ever worked with, but it seemed well trimmed right from the package and I just tried to even out the cap a little bit. Yes, I did score it.

Good point on the brine. I was able to let it sit on the counter for about 20-30 minutes while I was prepping the grill, but I'm sure a little more time would help get the salt into the interior of the meat.

I do have a Searzall torch, but rarely think about using it. I originally bought to sear proteins after sous vide, but it isn't very efficient for doing the entire cut. But I could see it's benefit for just evening things up in small areas. Thanks.
I use this. Small and easy to maneuver. And check fuel at Walmart.

Butane Torch Kitchen Blow Lighter, Culinary Torches Head Professional Chef Cooking Adjustable Flame For Sous Vide, Creme Brulee, Baking, BBQ (Butane Gas Not Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2J9FVY/?tag=tvwb-20

I use this. Small and easy to maneuver. And check fuel at Walmart.

Butane Torch Kitchen Blow Lighter, Culinary Torches Head Professional Chef Cooking Adjustable Flame For Sous Vide, Creme Brulee, Baking, BBQ (Butane Gas Not Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2J9FVY/?tag=tvwb-20

I have an acetylene torch in my shop...

th

...think that would be enough?

:LOL:

Back