Quit Drinking?

Clint. Keep quitting. You’ll be better off in the long run. If you’re certain you’re not an alcoholic, maybe set aside a special time to have a beer. As in one beer. I’m at the point where I only have a beer when I go to a restaurant. Typically a burger. I never do this more than once a week. I also make sure the beer is special. Not drinking a Coors Light for a special occasion.

Otherwise, quit and don’t look back. It’s hard but worth it. Best wishes.

Thx :)

Maybe a margarita---------------

The audio book says I'll BS myself, tell myself fantasies (the authors words) where I'd only remind myself about the good times, not the bad things... like "I'll just have a couple" and this time do it (and forgo the following ~6-10 like most other times).

One thing that bothered me was I'd think "I'll just have a nightcap" around 9:30pm (not having had a drink all day). "I'll just catch a little buzz." Next thing I know it's 1 am.

Some of my friends have been a lot more supportive than I expected. I was driving a cousin & another friend home last Sunday after a day in the hills. I said "you haven't been drinking" 'nope'. "if I was drinking, we'd all be drunk AF rt now". 'yep' :) Another keeps giving it tries (he was at 5 days last I heard), and doesn't drink around me.....

One nice thing will be at concerts & sporting events. Seems like I'd spend more time in the beer lines than watching the show. That ought to save $50 per concert.

I'd better stay quit for a while.

Thx :)

One nice thing will be at concerts & sporting events. Seems like I'd spend more time in the beer lines than watching the show. That ought to save $50 per concert.

I'd better stay quit for a while.

^^ That’s why I quit buying beer out.^^ I might have a margarita at the Mexican restaurant but other than that I have plenty of damn good beer in the basement. I paid to watch the event.

Good on ya.

Last edited:
50 bucks is probably way conservative. Seeing a show sober vs. drunk is a great experience if it's been a while. That endorphin kick you can get at a live show where the band is killing and the crowd is into it is amazing. That pretty much gets wiped out by alcohol in my experience.

Thanks guys :)

I pretty much feel normal, haven't lost any weight but I've been eating more & getting less exercise :)

About 2-3 weeks in I felt a big improvement but that plateaued right there.

I haven't made much sense of everything but I'm keeping at it.

You're doing great Clint, keep it up.

Sober since 93 +/-.

I never lost any weight when I quit, at least not enough where I noticed.

I've been a long time micro beer drinker that drinks for the taste and not to get drunk. That being said I could easily slay a six pack in a day just sipping and averaged 3-4 beers every day for the past 15 years. I'm an active person with zero health issues but have never liked how much I drink but have never been able to reduce. I'm the guy that can't just have one but 2-3 more.

I went to Poland a few weeks ago and got really bad food poisoning. I didn't eat nor drink anything for several days and something triggered in my brain (seriously) and I haven't drank since I have been home. In fact, I have zero desire to drink. I have subsequently lost 15 pounds and am what I weighed when I was in my early 20's (i'm in my late 40's.)

I truly love not drinking and have no desire to begin again.

Thanks! I still miss some flavors, the extra energy & how it loosened me up, but I don't miss the hangovers and other concerns. I got some juniper berries & experimented with them in diet sprite & OJ last weekend after seeing someone here posting pics of a martini a day earlier :)

I've been drinking a lot of Diet Sprites with ~20% juice (limeade, apple/kiwi/raspberry, grape, orange, etc). Not as many as beer cans in the recycle can but probably a few more than most houses.

Thanks! I still miss some flavors, the extra energy & how it loosened me up, but I don't miss the hangovers and other concerns. I got some juniper berries & experimented with them in diet sprite & OJ last weekend after seeing someone here posting pics of a martini a day earlier :)

I've been drinking a lot of Diet Sprites with ~20% juice (limeade, apple/kiwi/raspberry, grape, orange, etc). Not as many as beer cans in the recycle can but probably a few more than most houses.

Try the polar flavored seltzers...The orange vanilla smells just like a creamsicle...The cranberry lime is great to drink with dinner or while watching tv. I go through 2 liters a week and love it. If you mix it with some ocean spray diet 5 cranberry juice and throw a slice of lime in you have an almost zero calorie drink that tastes good and is refreshing.

I exercise daily and sit at about 175-180 like clockwork for the past 5+ years (due to more exercise than diet, can't give up the carbs) and I notice if I have a more than an occasional beer during the week I will weigh about 3 pounds more at the end of a week or 2...That stuff is straight weight. As someone who exercised for 35+ minutes daily I would recommend not watching sports while exercising because those beer commercials look so good when you drenched in sweat and thirsty as hell..

Keep up the work. There is a comedian, Bill Burr, who has over 1 year sober and he addresses it on his podcast. He never saw himself as an alcoholic or having a problem he just got sick of a having a fat booze head and feeling like crap...so don't ever forget that dog sh%t feeling when the alarm goes off and your head is going to explode.

I was not a drinker at all until adulthood. I didn't have a hangover until I was 41 and my brother made me an "Iced tea" while were playing dominoes...What I thought was iced tea mix with some rum was actually iced tea alcohol with rum and some other alcohol...It was basically a 20+ oz glass of booze...and I had 2 of those...I went to bed and forgot to turn my phone alarm off...7 am it goes off and I jump up to run across the room and turn it off so I don't wake anyone and...wOOOOOOShhhh...I am hit in the had with a sledgehammer of *#%*!!...I was sick for almost the whole day. I powered through and put on a smile for the kids but wow..."so that's a hangover..." baaarf...

Congrats Clint !

I've not had a beer since Jan 5th. Been trying to knock off some pounds and that old saying " you can't lose weight and drink beer " is soooo true. Have not changed my diet , been back on my bicycle doing at least 50 miles a week, and have lost 15 pounds in two months.

And I really don't miss the beer.

When I shift from weight loss to weight maintenance I will most likely crack one open again, but I won't be drinking nearly as many.

Back