Quit Drinking?

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Clint. Keep quitting. You’ll be better off in the long run. If you’re certain you’re not an alcoholic, maybe set aside a special time to have a beer. As in one beer. I’m at the point where I only have a beer when I go to a restaurant. Typically a burger. I never do this more than once a week. I also make sure the beer is special. Not drinking a Coors Light for a special occasion.

Otherwise, quit and don’t look back. It’s hard but worth it. Best wishes.

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
Thx :)

Maybe a margarita---------------

The audio book says I'll BS myself, tell myself fantasies (the authors words) where I'd only remind myself about the good times, not the bad things... like "I'll just have a couple" and this time do it (and forgo the following ~6-10 like most other times).

One thing that bothered me was I'd think "I'll just have a nightcap" around 9:30pm (not having had a drink all day). "I'll just catch a little buzz." Next thing I know it's 1 am.

Some of my friends have been a lot more supportive than I expected. I was driving a cousin & another friend home last Sunday after a day in the hills. I said "you haven't been drinking" 'nope'. "if I was drinking, we'd all be drunk AF rt now". 'yep' :) Another keeps giving it tries (he was at 5 days last I heard), and doesn't drink around me.....

One nice thing will be at concerts & sporting events. Seems like I'd spend more time in the beer lines than watching the show. That ought to save $50 per concert.

I'd better stay quit for a while.

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Thx :)

One nice thing will be at concerts & sporting events. Seems like I'd spend more time in the beer lines than watching the show. That ought to save $50 per concert.

I'd better stay quit for a while.
^^ That’s why I quit buying beer out.^^ I might have a margarita at the Mexican restaurant but other than that I have plenty of damn good beer in the basement. I paid to watch the event.

Good on ya.

Last edited:

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Platinum Member
50 bucks is probably way conservative. Seeing a show sober vs. drunk is a great experience if it's been a while. That endorphin kick you can get at a live show where the band is killing and the crowd is into it is amazing. That pretty much gets wiped out by alcohol in my experience.

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
Thanks guys :)

I pretty much feel normal, haven't lost any weight but I've been eating more & getting less exercise :)

About 2-3 weeks in I felt a big improvement but that plateaued right there.

I haven't made much sense of everything but I'm keeping at it.

BobJ

TVWBB Super Fan
You're doing great Clint, keep it up.

Sober since 93 +/-.

I never lost any weight when I quit, at least not enough where I noticed.

Nate C

TVWBB Fan
I've been a long time micro beer drinker that drinks for the taste and not to get drunk. That being said I could easily slay a six pack in a day just sipping and averaged 3-4 beers every day for the past 15 years. I'm an active person with zero health issues but have never liked how much I drink but have never been able to reduce. I'm the guy that can't just have one but 2-3 more.

I went to Poland a few weeks ago and got really bad food poisoning. I didn't eat nor drink anything for several days and something triggered in my brain (seriously) and I haven't drank since I have been home. In fact, I have zero desire to drink. I have subsequently lost 15 pounds and am what I weighed when I was in my early 20's (i'm in my late 40's.)

I truly love not drinking and have no desire to begin again.

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
Thanks! I still miss some flavors, the extra energy & how it loosened me up, but I don't miss the hangovers and other concerns. I got some juniper berries & experimented with them in diet sprite & OJ last weekend after seeing someone here posting pics of a martini a day earlier :)

I've been drinking a lot of Diet Sprites with ~20% juice (limeade, apple/kiwi/raspberry, grape, orange, etc). Not as many as beer cans in the recycle can but probably a few more than most houses.

Brian (Mass.)

TVWBB Fan
Thanks! I still miss some flavors, the extra energy & how it loosened me up, but I don't miss the hangovers and other concerns. I got some juniper berries & experimented with them in diet sprite & OJ last weekend after seeing someone here posting pics of a martini a day earlier :)

I've been drinking a lot of Diet Sprites with ~20% juice (limeade, apple/kiwi/raspberry, grape, orange, etc). Not as many as beer cans in the recycle can but probably a few more than most houses.
Try the polar flavored seltzers...The orange vanilla smells just like a creamsicle...The cranberry lime is great to drink with dinner or while watching tv. I go through 2 liters a week and love it. If you mix it with some ocean spray diet 5 cranberry juice and throw a slice of lime in you have an almost zero calorie drink that tastes good and is refreshing.

I exercise daily and sit at about 175-180 like clockwork for the past 5+ years (due to more exercise than diet, can't give up the carbs) and I notice if I have a more than an occasional beer during the week I will weigh about 3 pounds more at the end of a week or 2...That stuff is straight weight. As someone who exercised for 35+ minutes daily I would recommend not watching sports while exercising because those beer commercials look so good when you drenched in sweat and thirsty as hell..

Keep up the work. There is a comedian, Bill Burr, who has over 1 year sober and he addresses it on his podcast. He never saw himself as an alcoholic or having a problem he just got sick of a having a fat booze head and feeling like crap...so don't ever forget that dog sh%t feeling when the alarm goes off and your head is going to explode.

I was not a drinker at all until adulthood. I didn't have a hangover until I was 41 and my brother made me an "Iced tea" while were playing dominoes...What I thought was iced tea mix with some rum was actually iced tea alcohol with rum and some other alcohol...It was basically a 20+ oz glass of booze...and I had 2 of those...I went to bed and forgot to turn my phone alarm off...7 am it goes off and I jump up to run across the room and turn it off so I don't wake anyone and...wOOOOOOShhhh...I am hit in the had with a sledgehammer of *#%*!!...I was sick for almost the whole day. I powered through and put on a smile for the kids but wow..."so that's a hangover..." baaarf...

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB All-Star
Congrats Clint !

I've not had a beer since Jan 5th. Been trying to knock off some pounds and that old saying " you can't lose weight and drink beer " is soooo true. Have not changed my diet , been back on my bicycle doing at least 50 miles a week, and have lost 15 pounds in two months.

And I really don't miss the beer.

When I shift from weight loss to weight maintenance I will most likely crack one open again, but I won't be drinking nearly as many.