Quick Pastrami - Smoked Corned Beef questions

Bill Mc

TVWBB Member
I finally scored two marked downed corned beef flats at Wally World. Since it was a alate Sunday evening I threw then in the freezer, and this weekend is rain. So next weekend I hope to smoke them. I have a silly question, can I use Roasted Ground Coriander instead of the seeds? I am ready to try this, and hoping it turns out nice.
BillMc

My 2 cents (and I know you know this) is just to use less of the ground than you would of the seeds. I have no clue how much but I would just dust it on lightly and figure that will do it.
My other tip from my own experience is to thaw that corned beef and soak it for 3 or 4 hours in cold water. Maybe even change the water at the half way point. That corned beef can come out salty as heck if you don't rinse it good.
other than that I don't have much wisdom for you. I did one the other day and it couldn't have been more tender and juicy. (Point cut) but it was a tad salty. Hey , I hope yours comes out good. Look forward to the pix.

Bill I've made the pastrami a couple of times and as Frank said soak the corned beef for a day or more and change the water a couple of times or it will be to salty. As far as the coriander goes I used ground but a little less then half of what the recipe calls for and it came out fine.

Thanks for the tips, I read the article and planned on a 24 hour soak, maybe I should go 48 with a couple or three water changes?
My son is a pastrami nut so tring to impress him. I also enjoy a good sammy on the darkest of ryes once in awhile.
BillMc

Thanks for the tips, I read the article and planned on a 24 hour soak, maybe I should go 48 with a couple or three water changes?
My son is a pastrami nut so tring to impress him. I also enjoy a good sammy on the darkest of ryes once in awhile.
BillMc
You're a better man than me if you are organized enough to prepare anything 2 full days in advance :p but I think your plan is sound. And I couldn't agree more about the pastrami on the real dark rye....and the marble rye is nice too. And a nice kosher dill pickle. And horseradish deli mustard. Yum!

I have soaked corned beef flats for two days (or more) and the results are good -- no over-salty flavor. +1 on the coriander comments, too -- you don't need all that much. I like my pastrami peppery, so I go a bit heavier with the cracked pepper. I may have to do another one of those soon -- I'm making myself hungry just writing this. Sliced about 1/8" thick, warm and tender on a real Jewish rye, homemade coleslaw and Russian dressing ... mmmmmmmmmmm ...

I cooked this recipe about a month ago.Be careful with fresh cracked pepper, it's easy to overdo. I used fresh cracked pepper and the meat was too spicy for my tastes, but still very good. Next pastrami I do I will use coarse ground pepper.

As the others have said, I would also soak for 2-3 days with frequent water changes. I could have benefitted from another day of soaking.Kind of hard too screw this recipe up. You are going to surprise yourself with how good this recipe turns out.

I have done Faux Pastrami several times. I always do two (there is a lot of shrinkage) of about four lbs. each. I quit using cracked pepper as it was a bit too hot for me when you bit through that cracked peppercorn. I use Penzey's coarse ground pepper for a much nicer flavor all round.

I rinse the corned beef the night before. I put it in water for about an hour, then change the water, and do it a total of three times (three changes of water) and let it sit in the last container of water overnight. That takes care of the over salty problem.

We slice it thin across the grain and it is "crazy good". I typically make Reuben sandwiches. I use apple or pecan for smokewood.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I think I may have a problem. I bought the corned beef with the spices in with the meat. Hoping it will still be okay.
BillMc

The results

Well I soaked the corned briskest for app 28 hours. Started my smoke today around noon. Had a few errands to run so I lit got my chimney going when ready dumped it in the hole and had my minion going. Ran my errands then got home to a 250 WSM. Got it load the cyber q hooked up. Well the one larger brisket read to slice at 8 pm I forgot it it was 9 pm. Good taste and cor. I am thinking a little tough. I will also say to much pepper. Will do this again.
Bill

Back