Questions about my Summit 650 resto

I assume you are talking to Bill. He did a professional job with his heat shield. If your asking about the shelf for my cabinet...heck no...I would never waste that much stainless on an old grill :) . I just use the scrap powder coated steel I have laying around.

Thanks for the replies guys......always good discussion here. Got my new bottom shelf fabricated and mocked up. Will pre drill and through bolt so it is very strong. All burners are cleaned up and burning perfectly with the exception of the dang IR burner. I still cant get it to light. I will try a trick or two to get it running so I can do a good burn off and let it clean itself. It wont be long before I am putting the doors back on and rolling the ole gal outside for a high temp run. She has come a long wayyyyyView attachment 53560View attachment 53561View attachment 53562
Jim, I like the shelf. Powder coated should last longer than the Weber painted one. Nice job on the rest of the restore too. 👍

The ole gal is coming along. I have been patching her up with new metal everywhere she needs. New bottom shelf is fab'd installed and painted. New cook box upper lip to cover the rusted rough edge. New heat shield. I removed the IR burner tonight and it looks like the thermocouple copper line was a little rough where it enters the little metal box of the IR burner. I am scratching my head a bit w this dang IR burner....its my last road block other than the doors of the cabinet. I am picking up a donor tomorrow for $75 bucks....fingers crossed it will help me resolve the IR issues.

Attachments

• 20220624_174203.jpg
    20220624_174203.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220624_174218.jpg
    20220624_174218.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220624_174021.jpg
    20220624_174021.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 12
Jim,
Hats off to you for sticking to it with this pretty challenging project. I hope your donor grill solves the remaining problems and you can flip it successfully or enjoy that big beast for yourself.😎

Well.....I gotta tell ya.....the first one is always the toughest. Yes it will most likely be my last one unless I see one in awesome condition. Now I know where all the parts and pieces go and how they work. The IR burner scenario was a pain in the neck but if I had to do it again I could knock it out a heck of a lot faster. I ended up using the IR from my donor grill and just got lucky that it came to life and blaze orange. The manifolds have the ignitor holders that rust out and that is no good either....not as simple as the Genesis world. You guys alerted me to the inner cook box heat shields that rust out. I have to say....for a grill that sold for mega $$$$$$$ I would have hoped it was more bullet proof. I bet they were real darn nice to cook on when they were shiny and new and I am sure that the newer models are built smarter...well....I hope they are anyway. All I have left to do now is to re install the rear hood IR cover and then I get to do a burn off. Man o man I hope this burn off goes well....I will report back with some temp numbers.

Attachments

• 20220627_182944.jpg
    20220627_182944.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220625_180058.jpg
    20220625_180058.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 6
Well.....I gotta tell ya.....the first one is always the toughest. Yes it will most likely be my last one unless I see one in awesome condition. Now I know where all the parts and pieces go and how they work. The IR burner scenario was a pain in the neck but if I had to do it again I could knock it out a heck of a lot faster. I ended up using the IR from my donor grill and just got lucky that it came to life and blaze orange. The manifolds have the ignitor holders that rust out and that is no good either....not as simple as the Genesis world. You guys alerted me to the inner cook box heat shields that rust out. I have to say....for a grill that sold for mega $$$$$$$ I would have hoped it was more bullet proof. I bet they were real darn nice to cook on when they were shiny and new and I am sure that the newer models are built smarter...well....I hope they are anyway. All I have left to do now is to re install the rear hood IR cover and then I get to do a burn off. Man o man I hope this burn off goes well....I will report back with some temp numbers.
I fired mine up today for the first time since finishing it. Not that it matters to me, but some feel time to temperature is some sort of gauge. 0-400° 3 min, 600° 7 min, 700° 15 min.

Attachments

• 2CAD466E-2EA6-4ACE-81EF-D5730F931855.jpeg
    2CAD466E-2EA6-4ACE-81EF-D5730F931855.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 4
Well, Jim, you took the leap, learned a lot, and took a tough one to the goal line…way to go! I hope the end zone final play works out well. In the meantime, you have benefited all of us by sharing this story.

Yep....thanks. I hope the story ends well :) ...I cant wait to do the burn off. I will be selling the grill with a few extra parts from my donor so the new owner will be good to go for a while.

Bill those are some super speedy numbers!!! Six burners plus IR can really get cookin in a hurry. I hope I have similar success.

Jim, it's looking great. Great score with that donor also.
I hope you have better success w/ your resale than I am.

Yikes a 2007 is the " newer model " ...... ok then...question has been answered.
As for selling it....Im not the go for the throat kind of seller. I sell for what I think its real value is. The way I look at it I sell beautiful Genesis 300 series grills for $300 and $350 and they have another 7 to 10 years left on them by the time I am done with them. Given that my Summit has several metal patches and she is 15 years old I think a fair price for the ole gal is $550. I did loosely pre sell this for $700 before I did any work to it....but I just dont think its worth $700 and wouldnt feel right selling it for that much. Ya see......when I am finished the " pain " fades away ......the metal shards from the wire wheels have been plucked from my shirt.....the grease has been removed from under my finger nails......the shop floor has been swept.....the spare parts have been tucked away......then I get soft and enjoy the sense of accomplishment and set more rational prices. :) If you had asked me while I was trying to fix the dang IR burner and driving 100 miles to get a donor...the price was $2000.00!!!! :)

Yeah, Jim, Weber has been riding on that same basic design for a very long time. I think they are way overdue for a revision that I hope will address all the premature rusting out, both in the cabinetry and the firebox front. Personally, I would like to see the Summit be less bulky but built out of better materials.

I think your pricing is very fair and that you have done great work that is worthy of it. As Dave alluded to, it is harder to sell higher priced used grills, so just be patient. You just have to find the right buyer!

I didn't realize the current summit generation was that old. I hope they are saving up for a significant overhaul which in particular addresses the cook box burn through issues.

Someone trying to sell theirs and obviously not getting action. I much prefer the black, and this one at least has an intact cabinet even if door magnets are gone or not working:

Black Summit.jpg
Maybe a broken right leg or caster?

Black Summit Insided.jpg

Its just not in my nature to advertise something without even trying to clean it up for sale. That black one could look dazzling with 30min of cleaning. Anyway its in a lot better shape than mine was for sure. The IR burner looks very fresh.
I did a heat run tonight on mine....I must admit I hate the way the ignition system works. I fired up the 6 cook box burners and she ran to 650 degrees like a scalded mule! This Summit is a real monster!! I knew I shouldnt have mentioned how happy I was about fixing my IR burner because after blazing the 6 burners to 650 degrees, I tried the IR....I couldnt get it to stay lit :( I am not sure if all of that heat inside the cook box scares the hell out of the thermocouple or what but it would ignite but just would not stay lit....back to square one.

Attachments

• 20220628_174202.jpg
    20220628_174202.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 0

Back