Questions about my Summit 650 resto

I havent looked up the age of this grill yet but it is using the old ignitor system and no fuel tank gauge up top or lighted gauges. My guess off of the top of my head is 10 years old???? Since I have restored so many grills unless it is something relatively new I dont bother Weber for warranty stuff. I have enough scrap metal laying around that I can patch up most grills and send them on their way. Thanks to you guys I know what to look for in the future.
I think my problem with the IR is that the thermocouple is dirty ....maybe if I shine it up it will allow the IR to ignite. I will include a pic of the serial number. 20220530_152030.jpg

You would have a 2007 model. About 15 years old.

EH: 1994
EO: 1995
ER: 1996
EI: 1997
EZ: 1998
EE: 1999
DD: 2000
DA: 2001
DU: 2002
DT: 2003
DH: 2004
DO: 2005
DR: 2006
DI: 2007
DZ: 2008
DE: 2009
AD: 2010
AA: 2011
AU: 2012
AT: 2013
AH: 2014
AO: 2015
AR: 2016
AI: 2017
AZ: 2018
AE: 2019
UD: 2020
UA: 2021
UU: 2022

Last edited:
Thank you sir...... I think this grill got very light use. The bottom shelf is rusted out and the rust on the inside wall but other than that it is a cooker. Personally I dont get why the Summits are so darn expensive.....its a couple of extra burners and a IR.....But like I said...I want to get my Summit badge. Once I am done fixing her up I will do some burn offs to see what this old gal can do.

I would not flip that grill especially with that burn through. Whether you jury rig a patch or not you're opening yourself up to huge liability if something goes wrong. Honestly you're treading on dangerous ground

Jim, the summits are hard to repair and resell without Weber’s warranty support. No aftermarket parts. Too many unique summit parts. Not enough old summits on the side of the road for used parts.

So it usually takes more time or money to get them running again. It’s a good learning experience

I must be seeing this burn through wrong. I havent really given it a thorough inspection. It looks to me no different than the heat shield on the Genesis 300 series that always rusts out. From just viewing my pics it seems like the metal with the rusted holes on my Summit is a second line of protection for the front of the cook box getting too hot?????? It looks like a simple piece of metal that is just laid over or in front of the actual aluminum cook box. From what you are saying I will look a lot more carefully at the repair.

I just looked at my burn through pics again and all I see behind the rust holes is the cook box. So if I install new metal over this old panel covering the burn through with stainless steel what bad stuff could happen here?

I may be coming completely out of left field, but with no tank gauge and the high flames on the side burner, I'm wondering whether that puppy is set up for propane or natural gas? If you have a NG grill and are running propane, that would explain both. Do you know the original fuel type for the grill?

Just thinkin' out loud.

I may be coming completely out of left field, but with no tank gauge and the high flames on the side burner, I'm wondering whether that puppy is set up for propane or natural gas? If you have a NG grill and are running propane, that would explain both. Do you know the original fuel type for the grill?

Just thinkin' out loud.
No, it's a Summit issue. I fell victim to this as well. Saddens me Weber does absolutely nothing to support customers on this

You Searched For: Summit S-650 LP SS (USA/Canada) - 1780001 (DI1817369)​

That is what the grill comes bak as. So, unless a PO did some modifications, it should be set up as an LP grill. It also looks like there is an LP tank gauge on the inside left side of the cabinet as well.

Ok last reply before I hit the road for today. When I said no tank gauge up top.....I meant to digital tank gauge. It has the old school spring gauge holder down below and a regulator. The jet flames from the side burner were due to me lighting it without the cover over the flames....I guess the circular metal cap just diverts the rocket flame into a nice gentle side burner flame. Its a propane gas grill.

Jim, I think you have the situation in hand. Good luck with your Road Trip or wherever you are headed for the day.

Heading to Deep Creek lake for the day....thanks for the replies folks....I will check back in later. Larry please fill me in on the dangerous part.....seriously....if I am missing something I need to know...thank you

Wonder if your grill already has an extra piece of metal covering the expected fault.
LMichaels and others know more. Jon and Bruce too. We all need to brainstorm the whole system and come up with a fix

Good call Tony.....so u must know your way around a Summit. Funny I wouldnt have seen it if u didnt request the pic. You kinda have to lean your head in and look down but sure enough that front metal piece is rotting away. I will fabricate a strip of steel and install over top of the rotted section.
I tried again to light the IR. I held in the knob while igniting the burner with a lighter. All I could get it to do was a cloud of blue flame from left to right and it would go out if I didnt keep the lighter on it. I assume I have to clean some gunk away to free the holes the gas flows through. Does anyone know how to remove the IR? Any vids for this...I cant find any.
I removed the manifold and all the burners. The burners are in great shape...the bars are in great shape.....the grates are as thick as my fingers stainless steel. All regular burners do light. The one in the center that isnt igniting via the spark must have clogged holes on the front of the tube cause the spark is working great.
I cant get the side burner spark working....I have always been a little confused with side burner ignitors but will give it some more time. I did start the side burner with no cover over the jet orafice......Wow was I surprised as the flames shot straight up in the air like coming out of a jet engine......is that normal??? I have never done that before with a Silver B or 300 series to know if that is normal or not.....sure seemed a bit extreme to me. I will include some pics.View attachment 53256View attachment 53257View attachment 53258
I had issues with my IR burner, completely dismantled it, cleaned the valve, replaced the thermocouple. It seems to be working fine now, it looked like yours, but that crud burns off.

Attachments

• 8833469F-C818-4A85-8234-83088C504081.jpeg
    8833469F-C818-4A85-8234-83088C504081.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 7
I'm just saying that it's a mod outside of the parameters of normal design of the product. Now as a keeper? Sure. But say the mod fails and someone gets burned or hurt. Call Weber and the notation is made of the mod. IDK but I smell lawsuit. A Summit is not a grill I would flip or at least not with full disclosure of the foibles and mods to the buyer and signed hold harmless document

Back