Question on hood thermometer types - which one is better?

What do you guys think about this one?

https://www.teltru.com/s-135-weber-genesis-gold-bc-grill-replacement-thermometer.aspx

I use a weber one and I don't rely do heavy on it, just to kind of know when the grill is preheated, etc.

Dustin,

I think Tel-Tru is the Mercedes of thermometers. I am sure this one would be much more accurate and last longer than an OEM Weber one. In the end, though, I don't feel a user would gain that much from having it vs. a Weber one for the reasons mentioned previously. I would buy another Weber and use the savings toward a Thermopop!;)

That looks really good. This is their Thermopop which I have found to be very accurate pegging room temperature, etc. (even registers when you walk outside and the difference under a tree!). Anyway, no it is also not a Thermopen, but it IS pretty much all I think I would ever need. I like the flexible multidirectional readout:

https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoPop?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB

And, YES, DON'T buy from another source. Wait for Thermoworks to have a sale. They are a extremely good company with great products. That's why people try to pirate them. Go with buying directly. I sure have never regretted it. The Smoke is a low-n-slow barbecuing tool, so it should be forgiven for not being suitable for tracking grilling temperatures. I hadn't thought about that issue when I mentioned it previously.

We need Bruce to chime in he has a smoke and he uses it on the 1000 I am guessing Thermoworks is covering themselves a bit here or maybe not, I can kind of get don't put the probe over direct charcoal since most of my stuff is in a smoker and indirect on the performer its not directly over the charcoal. I would think its not an issue with the 1000 per see since you got 2 rows of bars and your really not putting it over direct flame but the ET-32 does not have that disclaimer at least I have not seen it and if you look at the specs on both unit probes they appear to be close.

Since I have all three grills it would bother me to not buy a unit that can handle all three especially when its more money, there have been issues with some on the Maverick probes probably user error I have not had any issues but the probe wires are shorter than they should be. The probes are pricey if you toast one meaning soak it in soapy water to clean which you should never do.

I have two thermopops and they are great as an almost instant read thermometer. For grate temps and food monitoring I use my maverick.

The side mounted one is dual purpose, you can use it to measure the temperature of your meat too. It pulls right out and is designed to be used that way.

Mine is stuck in the hood (silver C).

Not sure if I really need to remove it now that I have a Thermopop, but if I ever repaint the ends, I may need to remove the stock thermometer.

usually you can stick a screwdriver in behind the head of the thermometer on either side of the probe and then gently pry it out, alternating sides.

usually you can stick a screwdriver in behind the head of the thermometer on either side of the probe and then gently pry it out, alternating sides.

You're not talking about prying against the back of the dial, are you?

I sprayed some WD-40 on the shaft behind the dial a few weeks ago, but it still won't budge by fingers alone. Maybe I can slip a precision screwdriver in there somehow without causing damage.

Yah, that is what I am suggesting. It shouldn't take much for it to pop out. If it does, then you might want to consider alternatives, but I have taken a couple dozen out and never had one that didn't come out that way. Certainly some penetrating oil will help.

Is it the shaft that is stuck or the dial itself. If it is the shaft, then maybe try tapping lightly with a piece of wood on the tip inside the lid. Some light wiggling back and forth might help as well.

Yah, that is what I am suggesting. It shouldn't take much for it to pop out. If it does, then you might want to consider alternatives, but I have taken a couple dozen out and never had one that didn't come out that way. Certainly some penetrating oil will help.

Is it the shaft that is stuck or the dial itself. If it is the shaft, then maybe try tapping lightly with a piece of wood on the tip inside the lid. Some light wiggling back and forth might help as well.

I got it out.

I tried slipping a thin blade Craftsman pocket screwdriver between the grill housing and the very bottom of the thermometer, but it wouldn't budge (scratched the round washer-like protrusion just a bit). Next, I tried tapping the pointed shaft end with a piece of wood and a hammer, but no go.

The only other thing I could think of prying on was the dial housing. There was room enough to insert the pocket screwdriver between the dial housing and the boss on the lid, and the thermometer popped right out. I cleaned the dial housing and the boss, but it's still a tight fit. The shaft hole had ample clearance.

Since I have a Thermopop, I think I'll leave the grill thermometer as is unless of an emergency.

Yah, I think that is how most people use them. Just as a lid thermometer. I don't think most even realize they can use it as a meat thermometer. If they do, it usually winds up lost eventually.

Back