Question about wings on the 22.5.

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
Is it worth the extra effort to do wings on the WSM versus just cooking them in the oven? :wsm:

I'm thinking of doing some for the big game but I'd prefer to avoid the clean up so the oven is looking tempting...

Thoughts?

WSM is worth it. Use an empty, foiled water pan to catch the drippings. Then cleanup is almost effortless and you get an added layer of flaver that you won't get in the oven. Then the oven is free to cook anything else you might be warming up.

WSM is worth it. Use an empty, foiled water pan to catch the drippings. Then cleanup is almost effortless and you get an added layer of flaver that you won't get in the oven. Then the oven is free to cook anything else you might be warming up.

I agree with Jim. My family and friends like it when I use the WSM or The kettle grill. They say they taste better than what they make in the oven.

They just taste better done over charcoal, with a few wood chunks, either on a kettle or a WSM.

wings

I often cook wings on my 22 without the water pan

I recently moved my WSM right next to my kitchen and I keep a weedburner and propane tank hooked up. Best bbq thing ive ever done. I use the WSM quickly without hassles all the time. Its like a foolproof bbq machine. It does things like wings without any headache quickly and has an easy clean up.

Best wings I have ever tasted were made on the WSM last year... Needless to say I will be cooking some more on Sunday! The only thing I have to add to Wolgast's post is to pop them in a fryer for a minute or so after taking them off the WSM. That helps crisp up the skin just enough to put the wings over the top! :wsm:

BBQ_BoneSuckinSauce-s2.jpg

I picked up 3 jars of this at half price the other day, so I'm going to fire up the kettle and cook wings this weekend. We have oak trees all around the back yard, and for quick cooks like wings or burgers I pick up a handful of fallen oak twigs and toss them onto the coals while I'm cooking. It's an easy way to add a little smoke flavor.

Some of the best wings I've had were seasoned up and grilled, then tossed in hot sauce after wards.

Still have yet to smoke any first. Hmmm ... wonder what the weather will be like on Sunday :)

Like Jeff said.

I cook them on a grill, add a touch of smoke until just done. Then fry them for 2 or 3 minutes to crisp the skin. I then do some with a spice rub from Buffalo Wild Wings called Desert Heat, I also sauce some and toss. I'll be doing this Sunday when Baltimore whoops up on the 49'ers :)

Back