Quarantine Saturday

BrianCal

TVWBB Pro
So decided to cook a nice Saturday meal, but wifey (Susie) and I decided we needed a fish night for some variety. And at least it “feels” healthier as we are packing on the “quarantine fifteen” !!
We have twin boys who are college juniors, back at home as the schools are doing remote learning. They can’t see their friends, but are solid young men so never really complain, and they get that we’re fortunate to be home and heathly. They are not fish guys, so got them some shell steaks, which they’ve never tried. But funny thing, don’t really have to twist arms to get them to try a new steak, lol.
So made some basil rubbed swordfish steaks, sprinkled with a little sea salt and mixed peppercorns.
DC620FA4-C0D7-4F04-99F3-59FA5CBFC843.jpeg

The dudes got the steaks, just a little dry brine for a few hours
71BE9E24-4DF0-467B-B665-1F4A3ABC8417.jpeg

Got them on the gasser, saving my charcoal for some pork butts on Monday
0D717317-F9EC-4792-A9E2-7FC262B1E79B.jpeg

Came out nice, didnt get a pic of the steaks plated, but were a nice medium rare, with a pretty sear
A1F10952-35C6-4D6C-8A8C-3B979FC27FAD.jpeg

Swordfish looked nice too
A0F44161-F582-4211-A234-6F8BA3328126.jpeg

And plated, with some nice roasted brussels, potatoes and onions with a little balsamic reduction, and some Josh Sauvingon Blanc, and a basil, tomato, olive, & caper relish
D8EF6BD9-F5AA-4017-9316-A019F3BB5175.jpeg

That's a nice cook.(y)

And I hope you made sure the boys knew they should be grateful for those steaks.;)

Didn’t have to, they know. They were excited thinking they were getting burgers, but appreciated the nice surprise. They hadn’t tried shells before, both said it was a “ten out of ten”

Nice cook. That relish sounds great.

Just made some banana bread the other day. Tried it with a twist this time:

My kind of surf & turf, Brian! Looks great! We haven't had much seafood during this lockdown....looking forward to getting that back in the diet more regularly.

R

Looks like a killer meal! I have 2 young boys of my own and I hope one day they come back for some steaks.

Last edited:
Wow! I'd find it hard not to have 1 Swordfish Steak and 1 medium-rare steak on one plate. The sides, relish, and wine choice sound like the perfect companions to the meat.

Nice to hear your sons are doing great back at home. My boys are taking the distance learning thing in stride (they're 13 and almost 16), but really will eat just about anything we put in front of them, and we think our youngest will turn out to be a foodie like me.

Wow! I'd find it hard not to have 1 Swordfish Steak and 1 medium-rare steak on one plate. The sides, relish, and wine choice sound like the perfect companions to the meat.

Nice to hear your sons are doing great back at home. My boys are taking the distance learning thing in stride (they're 13 and almost 16), but really will eat just about anything we put in front of them, and we think our youngest will turn out to be a foodie like me.

It was definitely tempting to do the surf and turf, maybe just give them some beefaroni, lol.

The relish is really the key (and the rubbed basil on the fish), it is a Bobby Flay recipe, we love it.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...rdfish-with-tomato-green-olive-relish-2579272

Back