Q lid repaint

Paint update of sorts...

In the regular gas grill section I posted about a Silver A I restored in which I first painted with high-heat black and let it cure for a full week. I was not at all happy with the remnants of the original texturing that survived all my wire brushing. Rather than start over I decided to try my idea and paint over with regular temperature texture paint. (I have never seen any high heat texture paint.) After letting that cure for a few days I then painted again with high heat black letting that cure for yet another week.

When I did over an hour of burn-off including a half hour or more at full power (+600 degrees) I did not notice any bubbling or other issues. Not sure this would work on a firebox or a more powerful grill. It DOES give me hope that I could do something similar on Q grills with high heat primer first, then all the colorful engine paints I bought, and finally a coast of high heat clear.

I will update whenever I can finally do a Q in this manner. I will also test it thoroughly.

Last edited:
My daughter has a Cricut and I am working with here to do a couple for me if it doesn't get too expensive.

In the regular gas grill section I posted about a Silver A I restored in which I first painted with high-heat black and let it cure for a full week. I was not at all happy with the remnants of the original texturing that survived all my wire brushing. Rather than start over I decided to try my ideal and paint over with regular temperature texture paint. (I have never seen any high heat texture paint.) After letting that cure for a few days I then painted again with high heat black letting that cure for yet another week.

When I did over an hour of burn-off including a half hour or more at full power (+600 degrees) I did not notice any bubbling or other issues. Not sure this would work on a firebox or a more powerful grill. It DOES give me hope that I could do something similar on Q grills with high heat primer first, then all the colorful engine paints I bought, and finally a coast of high heat clear.

I will update whenever I can finally do a Q in this manner. I will also test it thoroughly.

Jon, please do. I would love to know if some of those wild colors would be available by topping them off with the high heat clear.

The Q lid gets hot enough you could cure powder coating on it. I think this might be a more durable finish?

Note to the guys using abrasion methods to remove the old coating, make sure to wear a mask. In my line of work, I'm often required to send paint samples to labs for lead testing. Pretty much any industrial enamel coating usually comes back as being some kind of lead paint.

Here is my latest Q320:

UpHlwA7.jpg

That looks really nice. I am going to paint the one I got from you. The old paint is just not cleaning up well

NFL training camps open this week. Chiefs fans are talking Superbowl or bust
with our MVP quarterback. I made a Chiefs Q1200 a couple of weeks ago and it
sold fast. So I did a 2200 and two 1000's this weekend.

SPMt5Stl.jpg

The 2200 is already sold, just waiting on an igniter to come tomorrow.
A neighbor walking by saw it, and bought it on the spot. Hopefully the others go
quick. I have two 300's I am considering doing the same with in a couple weeks.

Dave,

I love your Chiefs Q grills! I was intrigued by the Cricut idea and thought it would be cool to make a Dolphins (sorry:rolleyes:) version with a teal lid. I have an engine paint "Torq-N-Teal" that would be perfect if I can perfect a way to use it by sandwiching it between high heat primer and high heat gloss coat.

However, I was doing a little reading since my wife has a Cricut, too, that sits unused. I came across this article that gave me some pause:

http://cuttingforbusiness.com/trademarks-can-you-sell-nfl-items-made-with-your-silhouette-cameo/

It is ridiculous how the NFL makes so much $ off their logos, but I have enough problems that tangling with them is something I would like to avoid. It sounds like you can "buy" the right to use the logos on your OWN stuff but you cannot sell stuff with these logos unless you have an all-out license to do so - very expensive and you have to meet a lot of tests.

If you are allowed to buy logos for Cricut for your own use, I suppose a seller could sell a grill without the logo but show the buyer how they could install one on what would then be THEIR OWN grill???

I think the chances of getting in trouble selling grills like Dave's is about 1 in 10,000. The NFL just isn't going to waste time on something like that when they have outfits on ebay and etsy and other sites selling blatant copyright infringement products by the thousands.

I certainly don't think they would bother with a guy doing that to his own personal grill. In that case, they could sue some 9 year old kid for drawing his teams favorite logo and hanging it on his wall.

That being said, when I get a chance, I am going to have to work with my Daughter on making a couple of those for me with her Cricut. Or if someone can give me a quick lesson on how to do it, it would be great.

Jon, interesting info right there. I will visit w/ my wife on that.
I know she had to buy the rights to print it, and she assumed that
was all that was needed. I knew there was a catch somewhere.
Not an issue now, as I am fresh out of Q's. :(

I’ve found this thread really helpful as I get ready to redo my Weber family q. I am wondering 2 things: how many cans of paint (rustoleum spray) does it take? And do you also paint the base in black?

I use rustoleum ultra high heat black semi gloss on bottom. One can top. One can bottom.

How would you guys rate the prep for painting the Q lid, in terms of grinding off all the old paint?

In comparison to grinding down a Genesis firebox, is the Q lid much easier? Send like it would be.

I've got a grey Q lid, I'd love to paint, just trying to gauge how much work is involved here.

Kyle, I would say it is easier. Especially the smaller Q1xxx grills. But even a Q3200 lid is easier than a Genesis cookbox.
But, I wouldn't strip the outside if it is still in good shape. As long as it isn't flaking or peeling or scratched real bad, I would just run some 150 sand paper over it lightly and paint over it. That way you will retain the texture of the original paint. Otherwise, it is very smooth and any nick or ding will show up real quick.

Kyle, I would say it is easier. Especially the smaller Q1xxx grills. But even a Q3200 lid is easier than a Genesis cookbox.
But, I wouldn't strip the outside if it is still in good shape. As long as it isn't flaking or peeling or scratched real bad, I would just run some 150 sand paper over it lightly and paint over it. That way you will retain the texture of the original paint. Otherwise, it is very smooth and any nick or ding will show up real quick.

Thanks for the suggestion. Now that I have two Q200s, I'm really wanting to paint one of them. Both have lids that are in great shape, no flaking or peeling, so the 150 grit sandpaper idea sounds like a much easier route.

I would wash it up as good as possible with soap and water, then go very light on the sanding. You are just wanting to clean it up and prep it for paint. Don't sand down to the metal at all if you can help it. Then make sure you prep it for painting with a solvent too. I like Xylol or rubbing alcohol.

When you guys are angle grinding the old paint off the Q lids....any tips on how to get in the corners and weird angle spots? I've got one basically to the aluminum except for a few of those hard to get areas. Hoping you guys had some tricks for that.

Back