Q lid repaint

Thanks all, this is Pontiac Blue. To me, I would describe it as baby blue. The cream colour on the cart is bugging me so I might have to see if I can use the engine enamel paint to match or find a matching blue for plastics……

How did you grind it down to bare metal like that?
I used a wire cup brush on my handheld drill but the old coating was flaking in places so it was quite easy. I then went through the sandpaper’s to make sure it had no scratch marks.

Liz,

That is a really unique and very nice looking Q! That Pontiac blue is a little reminiscent of one of the old Weber kettle colors. With old kettle prices now soaring insanely out of reach, maybe some Weber fans should start collecting Weber Q's in unique colors:coolkettle:! Yours would a great start for that kind of collection:D.

Liz,

That is a really unique and very nice looking Q! That Pontiac blue is a little reminiscent of one of the old Weber kettle colors. With old kettle prices now soaring insanely out of reach, maybe some Weber fans should start collecting Weber Q's in unique colors:coolkettle:! Yours would a great start for that kind of collection:D.

Thank you. I am really pleased with how it has turned out. But I have now decided that the base needs a coat of black paint to smarten it up!!

Wow, that looks awesome Liz. I will be searching for Pontiac blue!

Now if they made avocado I could really see how you could get a collection of Qs in old Weber kettle colors.

Last edited:
This looks awesome Liz. I love that color. What type of paint did you use in regards to temperature ratings?

Yes, I am curious about the paint type as well. I am assuming it was 600 degree engine paint. I know there is another thread where Duplicor 600 degree engine paint didn't work on a Genesis. I wonder if it will do better on a Q that I doubt gets over 600 even at full blast.

Ment the polishing up !

This looks awesome Liz. I love that color. What type of paint did you use in regards to temperature ratings?

Yes, I am curious about the paint type as well. I am assuming it was 600 degree engine paint. I know there is another thread where Duplicor 600 degree engine paint didn't work on a Genesis. I wonder if it will do better on a Q that I doubt gets over 600 even at full blast.

I used this paint as the higher temperature paints in the UK I didn’t really like, nothing very fancy!!
https://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-engine-enamel
It has been fine the only issue I seem to have is that I may have still had some liquid on the lid before I started painting as it has little bubbles as it heats up. After all the sanding I did wash the lid, rinse and then wipe over with acetone. The bubbles only seem to be on the front but it looks 100 times better so I am not too worried.
I painted 2 lids up and George I did give the Weber wheel trim a spray, the new owner is happy :)

I suspect that these “engine paints” are on the borderline for what will work in a Q, especially a 100/1000 that has more intense heat per inch than a 200/2000. While surface prep is important. - and maybe a factor - I think you just seeing the paint being pushed to the edge of its heat tolerance.

Liz,
I was so impressed with your results that I decided to take a chance and buy some myself. It looks to me like the only option for higher heat paints with more than just a few colors is StoveBright. Very expensive, but rated well above what a Q or most any gas grill can heat up to. I will report back on my results when I can finally get time to try. I plan to paint my Q2200 Ford Green.

Back