putting down the lid

JasonQuevada

TVWBB Super Fan
sooo where do you guys put the lid when you're doing work with the lid off? ha my deck railing and floor are starting to get a little greasy from putting the lid down all over the place...

I believe there is a mod here that is a hinge for the lid. I haven't done it yet. I set mine on the deck rail. It's an old deck that we plan to replace soon. I'll have to figure out a better plan when that happens.

Unknownbbq.com has the best mod ever, a stainless steel bolt on hinge. Absolutely worth every penny. It locks open, comes apart if needed, it's stableand awesome. Only drawback is it takes two hands to shut it, no biggie there.

I lay a 4x4 piece of plywood next to the smoker. It has a collection of grease rings in it, it's getting to look like a spirograph drawing.

When I smoke I usually do it on my driveway, so because of this I just set it on the cement lol. I know bad practice but I figure the heat would kill off any bacteria which might be caught.

I have an older grill that I'm slowly converting into a grill cart that I roll out next to my WSM, just open the lid and set the WSM lid inside where the grate is.

I just leave it hanging on the smoker! The lip of the mid-section holds the handle. Best part of this mod is that it's mod-free!

0B4E48C8-D523-469F-A0BB-EFCA6F11DB27.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Unknownbbq.com has the best mod ever, a stainless steel bolt on hinge. Absolutely worth every penny. It locks open, comes apart if needed, it's stableand awesome. Only drawback is it takes two hands to shut it, no biggie there.

Why does it take two hands? Neither of mine do. I wonder if they changed the design before I bought mine.

When I smoke I usually do it on my driveway, so because of this I just set it on the cement lol. I know bad practice but I figure the heat would kill off any bacteria which might be caught.

I cringe when I see people do that. That cement is eventually going to chip away at the enamel on the rim of the lid and cause rust.

I cringe when I see people do that. That cement is eventually going to chip away at the enamel on the rim of the lid and cause rust.

I'm not so sure. Given that the rim tends to have a coating of fat on it I don't think it'll really get exposed to the elements. Sort of like notching the top for temperature probe wires, they get a 'protective coating' pretty quickly.

I'm not so sure. Given that the rim tends to have a coating of fat on it I don't think it'll really get exposed to the elements. Sort of like notching the top for temperature probe wires, they get a 'protective coating' pretty quickly.

Maybe so, but who wants to chance leaving a greasy ring on their patio or driveway?

Back