Pulled Pork Happiness

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
First pulled pork on the Camp Chef.
Safeway where Barb works had pork butts for a $1.19LB. Picked up two 8 pounders ground one and used the other for pulled pork.
Used a new pork rub I picked up near Phoenix where we meet our daughter for lunch at the Tennessee Smokehouse Barbecue restaurant, its salt free which I like.

Injected the butt with a mixture of apple cider vinegar, apple juice and the rub I used.

Pit Boss competition pellets for the cook, temp was set at 250.

Pulled at 180 and wrapped in tin foil instead of BP as I was putting about a cup of the remaining injection brew in with it.

Right after I started the cook the front that is supposed to bring us some rain started coming through, really high winds for the remainder of the cook which was about 8 ½ hours. The grill never varied more than 5-6 degrees during the whole cook.
Only went out twice to check on the pellets.

Couldn’t be happier with the performance of the Camp Chef.
The pork was very tender and had good flavor. I’ve had better bark but this was fine the way it was.

No plated picture as this was cooked for later meals.

Have a great weekend and stay safe.

101_5897.JPG

101_5901.JPG

101_5903.JPG

101_5906.JPG

101_5908.JPG

101_5910.JPG

101_5916.JPG

Looks good Rich, I hope it tastes even better, pulled pork is so versatile. We use it on taco's, sammies, chili, everything really.
Everything I made smoked right up until October was done with my pellet smoker.
It is convenient, I could however taste the difference with the first butt I pulled off the Weber.
There is something about the pellets, I don't know how to explain it, it's like they just don't burn or smolder the same as hardwood and charcoal.
Everyone would love to come over for the food on the Traeger, so I would say there is nothing wrong with a pellet grill at all.
I just needed the challenge I think.

Wish we had known about that place on our 1 day trip into Phoenix. Would have hit there before we picked up our new pet. Sure would have been a lot better than McDonalds in Wickenberg!

looks really good - I've never heard of 'Camp Chef', so stuff I took a look at their page - which one do you have?

looks really good - I've never heard of 'Camp Chef', so stuff I took a look at their page - which one do you have?
I bought it last year the model # is pg24mzg and it was an Amazon exclusive. It doesn't come up on Amazon anymore so I guess they have sold out or changed to another model.

Your PP looks great, Rich! I haven't made PP in a long time, it seems that any pork butts that make it into my house end up in my grinder! Speaking of grinders......what happened to the "other 8 pounder"? You going to finally make up some sausage? :)

R

Your PP looks great, Rich! I haven't made PP in a long time, it seems that any pork butts that make it into my house end up in my grinder! Speaking of grinders......what happened to the "other 8 pounder"? You going to finally make up some sausage? :)

R
Well like you said "ended up in my grinder" yep that's what happened to it.

Back