Project Birthday Brisket: The real deal.

People liked it. Dad liked it. Nobody had anything like it. It was a nice evening

View attachment 99603View attachment 99604

I of course had some notes. Mac'n cheese was not creamy enough. The brisket rub was under salted. I had leftover rub from my first brisket, and forgot I reduced the salt content because I also injected the first one.

And again, the flat came out dry. On a USDA Prime brisket:rolleyes:. So far, I have never wrapped it. Maybe wrapping helps with keeping the flat moist.

Top is a piece from the flat, bottom is a piece from the flat.

View attachment 99602

But hey, if I could cook Brisket perfectly after one try, it wouldn't be fun, would it?
This is why I only buy the point to cook. (Besides there being only just me now). I’ve have about 60-40 mixed results keeping the flat moist when doing a whole packer. I have always wrapped my brisket when the IT hits 170°, then pull it when it gets to 203° and rest it in a cooler lined with small bubble wrap and towels for a minimum of 3-4 hours. I have one on now I started last night at just after 11 pm after the Oregon Ducks win over Boise State. It’s wrapped going through the stall now at 187°.

Last edited:
Maybe someone can explain to me why people (myself included) don't separate the flat from the point and cook them individually? They are quite different and cook differently. They even sell them separately at the store if you don't buy a packer.
Because the beat Alice of brisket is where the point overlaps the flat. And if you cook them separately, the flat is still gonna get dry.

The flat doesn’t hold enough fat to stay moist. You have to add fat to the flat after the stall.

Or just turn the flat into a CB or pastrami.

It’s not that difficult to deliver a moist brisket.

Question ... Shall I retype the message that dry brisket can be either overcooked or undercooked message, again ?

Because the beat Alice of brisket is where the point overlaps the flat. And if you cook them separately, the flat is still gonna get dry.

The flat doesn’t hold enough fat to stay moist. You have to add fat to the flat after the stall.

Or just turn the flat into a CB or pastrami.

It’s not that difficult to deliver a moist brisket.
I will guess that "beat Alice of brisket" was supposed to be the "best slice of brisket";-)

I am no expert, and have only cooked a few, but si far they all came out very good, I use my WSM and I start my cook fat side down and run it that way with more than average smoke wood I like Hickory more for giving. My temps range from 220- 270, when it hits 160 to 175 I wrap and and liquid, talow is best, then when wrapped I put the fat side up and go for the finish.
I have had other things if life get in my way and had to pull two if them off early and put in a oven at about 175. One for around 6 hours party was delayed,and it was probably the most moist one of all,super jiggly. But each piece of meat is completely different during the cook
Some get to the stall faster,some slow,etc.
I am happy to see that Jonas put smiles on so many faces, and is ready to go at this again.
Great cook Sir.

Maybe someone can explain to me why people (myself included) don't separate the flat from the point and cook them individually? They are quite different and cook differently. They even sell them separately at the store if you don't buy a packer.
This... I always split cause of the difference in times especially with my setup. Just easier to deal with separately. That and a full packer doesn't actually fit in my 18.5 hehe..

That being said the finish looks good for the point.!!!

A good use for a dried out flat (or pretty much any extra brisket) are these beans. Made them for a family reunion and literally ever single person came back for seconds and scraped the pot clean. I added a couple of chopped up chipotle peppers in adobo to kick up the heat and smoke.

Block Party Brisket Beans

Ingredients
1 pound cooked brisket, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
1/4 cup bacon fat (or butter)
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup ketchup
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
4 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed

Instructions
In a large pot over medium heat, add onion, garlic, bacon fat, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and cayenne until onions begin to get transparent. Stir in ketchup, vinegar and brown sugar; simmer 10minutes.
Stir in brisket and beans. Simmer on very low heat, covered, for one hour to gently bring the flavors together.

That brisket looks great! I used to be able to get Creekstone primes from my butcher. I made mistakes cooking them of course, like in my trim or rendering the fat, but they always came out fantastic. I can't get them anymore unfortunately other than through mail order but they are so good. Congrats on a good cook.

Back