Prime rib on the SmokeFire.

Bob Erdman

TVWBB Pro
On Sunday I have family coming over for a cook out. A 6 to 8 lbs boneless prime rib roast is the main attraction, seasoned with salt & pepper, smoked at 250 on top grate until 110 internal, then rested until family shows up. It will be wrapped in butcher paper while resting. When family arrives I'll crank the SF up to 500 degrees to finish cooking/searing the roast. I will be watching my probes carefully, can't mess this up.

How do you make yours on a pellet grill?

Quite similar. Only, I run it until it's 120 to 125, then run the temp up while the meat is in there to 375 to 400. It will crust but not "blacken" until internal is 130ish. It's then pulled, wrapped in the paper, then in a towel, then put in a cooler for a couple hours prior to being sliced. (like you only S&P. IMO anything more muddies up that good beef.
My other go to is cook in pellet grill (top grate as you only in both cases I use 225). Until internal is 130ish. It gets it's rest then gets blasted on the gas grill VERY quickly and consumed immediately.
Both ways have turned out gorgeous roasts. I go to slightly higher internal as that cut being closer to the chuck does have a little more connective and fat, and benefits from a slightly higher internal with being more tender and juicy

I've been smoking prime rib for quite a few years. Low smoke temp of around 225, to 120-125 internal. Usually just salt & pepper, occasionally some dried onion & dried garlic powders. Unlike a lot of folks, we've discovered that we really don't attach a lot of value to the hard crust. Season, smoke, rest and devour.

I did an entire prime rib for my g/f's family some 10 years ago when they came to visit. Even the vegetarian in the gang had to try it.

On Sunday I have family coming over for a cook out. A 6 to 8 lbs boneless prime rib roast is the main attraction, seasoned with salt & pepper, smoked at 250 on top grate until 110 internal, then rested until family shows up. It will be wrapped in butcher paper while resting. When family arrives I'll crank the SF up to 500 degrees to finish cooking/searing the roast. I will be watching my probes carefully, can't mess this up.

How do you make yours on a pellet grill?
What was the cost of your 8lb Prime Rib Roast?

I have always been terrified to do a prime rib so I cut it up into steaks and everyone is happy.

I think I was kind of traumatized as a child, our Sunday dinner was a rump roast cooked on a Farberware rotisserie all day. The roast was good but it was well done as in temperature. Gravy saved the day and it was very thinly sliced.

I do like a little rosemary dust added to the S&P. Run dried rosemary in a spice grinder until it’s dust.

Or you can make rosemary salt. Fresh rosemary chopped finely and then add kosher salt to it. And use the seasoned kosher salt as it absorbs the rosemary oils when the rosemary is fresh.

Well, no prime rib roasts at Sam's. I ended up getting 6 prime ribeye steaks instead. They look to be a little over an inch thick. Worker at the store said they only have prime rib roasts at x-mas time.

Thanks for sharing your cooks. 🍻

I'm going to reverse sear these steaks. I'm also making vegetable only fajitas for the lone vegan, my daughter in-law. IMG_2697.JPG

Last edited:
Should not be afraid to a choice grade. When I am doing a roast it's all I do for those. The pellet grill will make it so wonderfully you would not know the difference. Gotta trust me on that one.

I learned that if you’re doing a long “Towel in Cooler“ rest 110 would be perfect! I went to 123 and by slicing time, it was a little less rare than I would have liked. I’m going to Sou Vide the tri tip for tomorrow to 110 for six hours and then sear, will advise in the “Birthday Bash” thread, if I remember.

I think I was kind of traumatized as a child, our Sunday dinner was a rump roast cooked on a Farberware rotisserie all day. The roast was good but it was well done as in temperature. Gravy saved the day and it was very thinly sliced.
A Farberware rotisserie! We had one - scorching hot bright red electric elements and meat juices dripping down, sizzling the metal below! Thanks for the memory - I loved that thing!

Back