Prices for brisket packers?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
i have not purchased a brisket packer in a year or so but was at walmart and noticed they are now up to $2.58/lb. Last time I purchased one, i think they were $1.99/lb so i thought i would ck w/ you on prices. I know food prices have increased, even the butts that i used to get for 99 cents on sale are now 1.79/lb on sale but is the walmart brisket price about as good as they get? Where are you buying them?

They were 2.58 at Sam's last night. All they had were Choice Angus!! Too bad I just cooked one on Tuesday or I would have picked another one up.

That doesn't seem bad to me. I was just in Florida and they were about $1.00/lb higher (at a different grocery).

I'm envious of everyone getting 'em that cheap. Here in North Jersey, **IF** you can get a full packer, for USDA Choice you're looking at $3.99/lb minimum in cryo from the local distributor and $5.99 minimum at local butcher shops. A downmarket "urban" chain called Western Beef sells USDA Select packers for ~$3.49/lb and they often only have one or two in the store at any one time.

Supermarkets in this part of the country only carry thin flats for braising, usually no more than 4-5 pounds, and $4-5/lb for them. Walmarts aren't a big thing here, and the only one nearby in Bergen County doesn't sell packers or even flats most days.

So be thankful, folks, that where you live you can get 'em cheap and easily!

I have been buying them for $1.99/ lb since Memorial Day here in the DFW area. I check the local grocery store ads every Wednesday and somebody has always had one at that price before the weekend.

The price of brisket packers is very regional. In southern California I can get them for $3-4 a pound, if you can find them. Now for untrimmed tritip, they go on sale for 1.99

Yeah, $2.30s to $2.50s is what I'm seeing around here, too. That's down from the $2.90s I was seeing in November/December timeframe, though.

Just for sake of comparison....Harris Teeter in Charlotte area has flats for $5.99/lb !!! Talk about ridiculous. Flank is $8.99 at HT.
icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by Davidd:
i have not purchased a brisket packer in a year or so but was at walmart and noticed they are now up to $2.58/lb. Last time I purchased one, i think they were $1.99/lb so i thought i would ck w/ you on prices. I know food prices have increased, even the butts that i used to get for 99 cents on sale are now 1.79/lb on sale but is the walmart brisket price about as good as they get? Where are you buying them?

When I retired the Brinkman 10 years ago today and bought the WSM in 02, packers @ super Wal Mart were $1.68lb. Now looking back on how much meat, along with most things have gone up ten fold. Burger is crazy expensive these days as well as steaks.... any way Excel Packers here @ super Wal Mart are $2.58 as well. I just picked one up to cook on the WSM for the 10th aniv cook. MY first cook was a brisket as well so that's what I'm going with on the aniv cook. And just for old times sake, I'll do it @ 225 overnight instead of a HH cook.
icon_redface.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by PeterD:
I'm envious of everyone getting 'em that cheap. Here in North Jersey, **IF** you can get a full packer, for USDA Choice you're looking at $3.99/lb minimum in cryo from the local distributor and $5.99 minimum at local butcher shops. A downmarket "urban" chain called Western Beef sells USDA Select packers for ~$3.49/lb and they often only have one or two in the store at any one time.

Supermarkets in this part of the country only carry thin flats for braising, usually no more than 4-5 pounds, and $4-5/lb for them. Walmarts aren't a big thing here, and the only one nearby in Bergen County doesn't sell packers or even flats most days.

So be thankful, folks, that where you live you can get 'em cheap and easily!

Peter, you need to join Restaurant Depot. There's one on RT. 46 East in Pine Brook. I bought a 12.7 lb. packer there yesterday for $2.80 a lb. You'd make up the membership fee on your first purchase.

Originally posted by PeterD:
I'm envious of everyone getting 'em that cheap. Here in North Jersey, **IF** you can get a full packer, for USDA Choice you're looking at $3.99/lb minimum in cryo from the local distributor and $5.99 minimum at local butcher shops.

It's the same in Massachusetts. The northeast is overpriced.

I just picked one up to cook on the WSM for the 10th aniv cook. MY first cook was a brisket as well so that's what I'm going with on the aniv cook.
Bryan,
Please return with the results, hopefully with pics too, of your cook.

Your input is sorely missed around here.
Happy 10th tomorrow!!

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
$2.58 at our Sam's as well. That made it over $70 for the (2) fourteen pounders we bought yesterday! Ouch.

Dave, Does your walmart sell choice. All I have here is unmarked excel, so I assume it is select.

Still trying to find a source. The one from my grocery meat counter was a no-roll. Wont do that again.

Usually can get briskies at Smart & Final here in So-Cal for under 3.00 a lb.

The icing on the cake is that all red meat sold at Smart & Final is from Harris Ranch!!

Originally posted by Jeff R:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
$2.58 at our Sam's as well. That made it over $70 for the (2) fourteen pounders we bought yesterday! Ouch.

Dave, Does your walmart sell choice. All I have here is unmarked excel, so I assume it is select.

Still trying to find a source. The one from my grocery meat counter was a no-roll. Wont do that again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rarely. The two I smoked yesterday turned out really good and were CAB briskets from Sam's.

Thanks for posting about the prices around the country -- it's good to know. I still have one in the freezer from the last buy, but prices have been about $2.50 that I've seen here.

Jason, I'd like to suggest you load up a pickup with briskets and run them up to NC -- but I doubt you would get past Ark. before you sold out!
icon_biggrin.gif

Rich

Back