Prepping for 2 Shake Down Cruises

JPGodfrey

Today I'm clearing out the leaves in my backyard, where my new WSM and Genesis grill are going to set. Tomorrow afternoon those cookers will be delivered, fully assembled with 2 full propane tanks.
Got a big bag of Kingsford blue in the shed.
My new thermapen, tongs, grill gloves, grill brush, and 7 pack of Simply Marvelous rubs stand ready.
Today my Classic Accessories Veranda grill cover from Amazon will be delivered.
Tonight I'll watch the Youtube videos on my Maverick ET-733.

Then, tomorrow I'll get a couple of thick ribeyes for the Genesis.
And a couple of Jimmy Dean sausage logs, some wood chips, and a fatty pork shoulder for the WSM's maiden voyage.

Saturday morning it's all hands on deck.
On Monday morning I'll call my cardiologist.

JP

Wishing you fair seas. :wsm:

Might want to get some wood chunks rather than chips.
More big bags of Kingsford blue wouldn't hurt ( as life rafts for this voyage and the seven seas beyond).

Great to see you have the Genie along for this trip ;)

May the winds be gentle and the seas calm !

Bob

JP;
Welcome to the bunch. Once you get a handle on the temperature control with the WSM, you are going to LOVE this piece of gear. Your Maverick will be a big help in shortening the learning curve. I almost feel like I"m cheating when I use my Maverick (and I use it all the time:eek:).

If you watch your time and temperature, THEN check tenderness before you pull the pulled pork, you can hardly fail to have "good grub".

To clarify - there is a tendency amongst new smoker operators to try to depend on time and temperature, alone. That will be a mistake. Each piece of meat is a law unto itself. Let tenderness be your guide line when to remove from the smoker. I use a table fork and just insert and twist it. As soon as it responds (is pullable) I remove and let it rest before pulling. That gives me the best results and I don't over cook or under cook (overcooked tends to be dry and undercooked tends to be tough).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

JP;
Welcome to the bunch. Once you get a handle on the temperature control with the WSM, you are going to LOVE this piece of gear. Your Maverick will be a big help in shortening the learning curve. I almost feel like I"m cheating when I use my Maverick (and I use it all the time:eek:).

If you watch your time and temperature, THEN check tenderness before you pull the pulled pork, you can hardly fail to have "good grub".

To clarify - there is a tendency amongst new smoker operators to try to depend on time and temperature, alone. That will be a mistake. Each piece of meat is a law unto itself. Let tenderness be your guide line when to remove from the smoker. I use a table fork and just insert and twist it. As soon as it responds (is pullable) I remove and let it rest before pulling. That gives me the best results and I don't over cook or under cook (overcooked tends to be dry and undercooked tends to be tough).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Great information!
Thanks Robert.

JP

Congrats JP on the toys! You'll enjoy them!:)
Whats your 1st impression of the Classic Accessories Veranda Cover?
Did you get one for both?
I've been looking at the Veranda or Hickory covers. Thanks....

Congrats JP on the toys! You'll enjoy them!:)
Whats your 1st impression of the Classic Accessories Veranda Cover?
Did you get one for both?
I've been looking at the Veranda or Hickory covers. Thanks....

I gotta pick up the grill cover at the post office in the morning.
The grill is supposed to be delivered in the late afternoon.
I'll let you know how it is.

JP

Hello Ray,
No snow here in Black Mountain.
It sleeted a little last night, but mostly rained.
Tomorrow we're gonna see some temps in the 60's.
I love this place!

JP

JP, just an opinion on covers for the grill and WSM. Don't bother. Mostly, they trap moisture and promote the growth of mold and funk on and in your gear. I used to be obsessive about covers, but now feel that they are more trouble than help. Because of the way that the WSM sections stack, rainwater collects inside, which is a pain. Avoid the problem by flipping the center section upside down between uses -- it stacks fine and the water runs off. You can keep the outside of both looking new in 30 seconds with a damp rag. You have great gear -- enjoy cooking on it!

The cover (Classic Accessories Veranda) is excellent. I got the large (64") size and it fits perfectly over the Genesis EP-330.
It's much better quality than the Weber covers. Last night we had 55-60 mph wind gusts and, although I didn't have any of the straps clipped on, the cover stayed in place on the grill just fine.

JP

Back