Post your live HeaterMeter Cooks

I'm using the damper for the akorn from bbqgurus that attaches to the adapt-a-damper servo and fan. I keep my vent at right around the moons.

Beef chuck on the menu today. Running at 290°F and it’s a nice day here with little wind. Smoking in and UDS with Kingsford and hickory. I tried some new PID settings from an older thread, will see how the smoker reacts!

The recipe for the cook from Kenji.

This is my first brisket on my Akorn. Using fan only because my servo went out and I need to order another. Either way, I feel like I've done something wrong. Even now, you can see the point heading towards 200 and the flat never seems to have come out of the stall even after wrapping in butcher paper. I also verified that with an instant read thermometer. Been rolling at 225 for coming up on 12 hours now. Brisket was about 11lb before trimming and now I'm a bit worried. Any tips or suggestions to try out next time? Or is this just completely normal and nothing to worry about?20201115_152223.png

To make you feel better I have never been able to get a packer or pulled pork to temp using 225 F, I switched to 250 years ago. I know everything you read says 225 and all recipes say 225 so maybe someone will come on here and tell us how it's done. :)

Tim,
Your graph looks quite normal. My target is 205 and by then, there is nothing but meat left. All fat has been rendered and other collagens and tendons too. Even at the temp you reached, it should have come out tender hopefully with a nice bark and no fats. Same for Boston Butt. Once you hit 205, you should have something that pulls apart with little to no clumps of fat left. I use a Primo and always plan on a 12 hour minimum cook for anything above 8lbs. About the stall, it could last as little as an hour or take up 5 hours or more. For me, it depends on how lean the inside of the meat was prior to starting. The stall is when your really reducing the fats and colognes' from the meat. The more there is the longer it takes. The leaner, the faster it cooks. I would rather have a little more fats to add flavor as the meat renders it out. So bottom line is, it looks like in my opinion, your brisket came out great and your grill performed perfectly

I'm testing my HM for the first time on a new build smoker.

The damper/fan is running at around 90% to maintain 105C / 220F.
You can see that when it closed around 3:57pm the temp dropped very quickly. This probably means I dont have any air leaks! But does it also mean its not naturally drawing air effectively?

http://84.68.39.46:9090/luciCapture.PNG

EDIT: Thrown more charcoal on at 5:04pm. I think I was just running on too little fuel.

Capture2.PNG

Last edited:
You have some noise in probe 1. Make sure youe soldering is good.
I'm testing my HM for the first time on a new build smoker.

The damper/fan is running at around 90% to maintain 105C / 220F.
You can see that when it closed around 3:57pm the temp dropped very quickly. This probably means I dont have any air leaks! But does it also mean its not naturally drawing air effectively?

http://84.68.39.46:9090/luciView attachment 17960

EDIT: Thrown more charcoal on at 5:04pm. I think I was just running on too little fuel.

Both "Pulled Pork" and "Beef Rib" show the noise icon in your first image at 4:10:44 PM.

I'm curious what you other settings are too because I find it odd that it says "Output 91% / Fan 91%" when it should only say "Output 91%" if they're the same. It would indicate that there's no servo value in the update data and I'm not sure how that would happen, unless you're running an older AVR firmware that didn't report it. I can't remember if it had Output and Fan displayed separately in earlier versions.

I haven't fired up the HeaterMeter in quite a while. I am controlling an electric smoker using an SSR. When I fired things up for the day my GFCI was tripped. It appears my SSR was toast. Luckily I had replacement parts. Best I can tell, my bonding of the the SSR to the metal case that it is in came loose. The metal case is being used as a heat sink, so it looks like it cooked itself last time I used it.

Otherwise I am in business. I am cooking a 14lb Turkey, brined and seasoned, started at about Noon CT. Done about 11:55pm.

Turkey-20201123.png

IMG_20201123_150610453.jpg

Last edited:
Got a 10lb pork picnic on the big green egg with aluma-damper tonight.

Edit: Finished in under 10 hours, first time doing it at 275F. I probably overpacked the charcoal basket and some of the pieces were very large, we also had rain throughout. I am thinking that is what caused the temp swings and the lid opening warnings (set at 6%).

Attachments

• 20201205_113245.png
    20201205_113245.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Brisket on.

Hope that works...

Edit:

Brisket is 15 lb
Smoker is 22.5 WSM with air burner setup
Wrapped at 155, added some Worchestershire sauce.
At about 1:30 am, I turned it down to 205° so I could sleep.
Back up to 225° this morning to finish the cook.

Last edited:
Had a couple days off, so figure I'd do an 8 lb. Pork Butt on the gravity feed. Stock pid settings, and fan only with the 15 CFM Adapt-a-Damper. B&B natural Oak briquettes, and Hickory wood chunks.

A bit windy today, so we'll see how it goes. Temps usually run a few degrees high when windy.

http://bigbeggbbq.servebeer.com/luci

Very first HM cook on my modded Weber 21-inch kettle (with my own collar, sort of like a WSM). A short session today with some St Louis style pork ribs and a couple of turkey wings at 225F, just so I have something to cook while I make sure everything is working. Later, towards the end, I'll add a fillet of sockeye salmon.

https://craigsgrill.freeddns.org/luci/ (apologies for the certificate warnings you'll get - I followed @Steve_M's scripts but for some reason browsers are still squawking - we're looking into it)

IMG_2404.jpg

Doing some ribs and checking out my new SmokeWare top on my KJ. Cook just getting started.

PS: Craig, I have that same Weber Performer grill. 9 years now and still going strong. Still has the original igniter for the gas charcoal lighting system and all still works like new.

Last edited:

Back