Post your live HeaterMeter Cooks

That graph looks really good, PTirmal! What are your settings? How did you light? etc.
Thanks! Recommended PID settings for a Kamado style cooker: P = 2.5, I = .0035, D = 6
I have fan on above 60%, min = 10%, max = 55%

I just replaced the gasket on the egg and realigned everything. It really does a good job holding temp when air doesn't magically find its way in.

Nice! Is that a 1” from the fan down to a 1/2” into the smoker?
Second, did you solder your airburner together? Is that also 1/2” pipe? About to build something similar- seems yours is working out great!

It's all 3/4" except fitting attached to the blower which is a 1->3/4" reducer. It's all friction fit but I may end up soldering the joints external to the smoker. If needed.

That graph looks really good, PTirmal! What are your settings? How did you light? etc. Looks like you it the plateau at 4:00 MST

That's a REALLY NICE Cooking Center you built! I want to do the same with one of my WSM smokers. I'm a Woodworker at heart, but just got side-tracked with metal working this past year.
Didn't see the second part of your post. Thanks! It was definitely needed, makes everything so much more streamlined when you're cooking outdoors, going in and out of the house etc. I am big on improving efficiency! It was definitely my largest wood project, I've been working with wood for a long time but only in the past year or so really started to churn out some more quality items.

I'm glad you got into metal working this past year, haha!

I always light with my mapp torch, in a triangle (back, front left, front right, center) for maybe 20s-60s per spot. I leave the dome open and let it burn for ~10m, give the spots some more torching if it seems like it's going too slow. When I feel the heat when I put my hand over it I'll lower the dome and have the top vent wide open for 5-10m while it gets close to temp and then I'll throw in my ceramic stone/grates (adjustable rig from CGS) when it's around ~25 over/under target temp. This method seems to be the best for keeping a nice stable fire from my experience so far. I am bad about cleaning ash out (usually ever 4-5th cook) but I just picked up a kick ash can and basket which should help me maintain a cleaner chamber and have better airflow.

Going to try it out this evening with a 12lb (before trimming) brisket packer! Will post up when I do.

Yeah I was using the aluma-damper.

I took the brisket off around noon. I threw ribs on at that point (255) and when the ribs were done I turned it to to 325 for some burgers and then a little higher cause I was trying to finish off some baked beans.

I had an issue with thermoworks high heat TC and so at the beginning of my smoke I had to use a thermistor 1 as my Pit probe.

After I fixed it, I'm now back on it and it seems to be good, as I wasn't sure if I had the correct wires on the right post.

here is my latest and best ever cook. Not sure why the controller works this well, but it could be the thermocouple probe I made. I have been starting to think that what I have been purchasing, no name given and not from Amazon or eBay, just might not be as reliable as I would expect. Went ahead and bought some high quality Kapton jacketed thermocouple wire and made my own. this is the results. Also i have posted my config page.

Turkey Breast_new pit probe_07_25_20.jpg
Adapt-A-Damper new pit probe cook 07_25_20.jpg

here is my latest and best ever cook. Not sure why the controller works this well, but it could be the thermocouple probe I made. I have been starting to think that what I have been purchasing, no name given and not from Amazon or eBay, just might not be as reliable as I would expect. Went ahead and bought some high quality Kapton jacketed thermocouple wire and made my own. this is the results. Also i have posted my config page.

Impressive! Any tips? Did you enclose the tip end?

2nd test burn with a 15cfm fan & damper, monster gravity fed smoker loaded w/ 18 lbs. of Frontier (looks like a Royal Oak brand,) natural lump. Intent is to just let it run at 275 until the charcoal burns out.

A pork tenderloin will be going in for dinner, along with some Cheez-its, Doritos, and oyster crackers.

Last edited:
I think a discussion topic for thermocouple ideas should be started. I will get one started with what I used for my probe. I know Will Begg decided to go down this road and he might have some input on this subject as well as others out there who have travelled down this rabbit hole.

2nd test burn with a 15cfm fan & damper, monster gravity fed smoker loaded w/ 18 lbs. of Frontier (looks like a Royal Oak brand,) natural lump. Intent is to just let it run at 275 until the charcoal burns out.

A pork tenderloin will be going in for dinner, along with some Cheez-its, Doritos, and oyster crackers.
That's a pretty awesome graph. Looks like you're staying right on. Are you using the damper at all? or just fan? I get similar graphs on my "mini" gravity feed with same fan size, but don't use the damper. Just fan. Also, What are your settings? What type/brand of TC are you using? etc, etc ...

That's a pretty awesome graph. Looks like you're staying right on. Are you using the damper at all? or just fan? I get similar graphs on my "mini" gravity feed with same fan size, but don't use the damper. Just fan. Also, What are your settings? What type/brand of TC are you using? etc, etc ...

Your 15CFM fan & damper assembly, a friend of mine printed the housing for me in ABS. Constants are bone stock. And your thermocouple, come to think of it. After taking the tenderloin & snacks out, I did run it down to 175. 24+ hours on 18 lbs. of natural lump ain't bad, even for an empty smoker. This is behaving MUCH better with the 15CFM fan, over the 6.7CFM.

Edit: All of the food thermoprobes are Thermoworks.

It does concern me is that it shows a door open around 0325 this morning. I was dead asleep. Might have to move an IP camera to look over the back yard.

Last edited:
Did my second cook with the HeaterMeter on Saturday. After giving up on cooking brisket for 10 years (really), I tried again, this time with temp control of the HM. Everything I learned on TVWBB and the HM itself made this brisket one of the best I've ever had.

Got a 10.5lb prime packer brisket from Costco on Friday. Got the brisket on the WSM 18" at 1:00am (Minion method), made sure the HM was running, and went to bed for about 6 hours just in time to see it come out of the stall. Sprayed with some water/apple cider vinegar, wrapped it in butcher paper, and let it keep cooking for another 4-5 hours. Pulled it after 11 hours, just at 203F.

The grate temp got a little squirrelly after about 8 hours, but the WSM held above 250 so I let it ride. Not sure if it was a fuel issue or I need to adjust my PID settings. The first 8 hours were really solid. I couldn't ask much more from the HM - an overnight smoke AND I actually get some sleep? Awesome...

The graph is after I got the meat off & had pulled the probes. Realized at around 9am that one of the probes should've been in the flat (both were in the point) so I moved one. Lesson learned.

IMG_5990edit.jpg

Back