Post your live HeaterMeter Cooks

http://140.190.50.94:922

Ambient temp when I rolled out the smoker and lit it was -6 F, with a very fine light snow coming down. I'll attach a picture later.

IMG_20190126_085227054.jpg

Last edited:
It screamed at me around 20 minutes after you posted that pit temp was droppin'. All good now. :)

Oh, and ambient temps have been around 16-18 F......

That's why I suggested you should wake your wife, she should put on her slippers and go outside to refuel the cooker.

<chuckle> Yeah, that ain't happenin'. The smoker is my world, even though she's a complete enabler in that regard. At 0400 here, she was not about to get out of a cozy bed.

Oh.... and not a wife. :D Girlfriend. Been together (this time...) for 20+ years.

For anybody watching this, it's having a bit of a hard time maintaining temps due to another ash opportunity (that I really should have foreseen.) There's a spot just outside the firebox in the cook chamber flue that was nearly completely filled in with ash. I removed quite a bit, but there's still some left. I'll run this chute completely out, and clean it all out well.

What's going on? Is this thing still running? If so it looks to me like you ran out of fuel a little after midnight Saturday night and now (at 4:45am Sunday Morning) the pit temperature and ham temperature is down in the 70's and dropping rapidly. Pretty soon you're gonna have a fully cooked frozen ham.

Am I the only one staying up day and night monitoring this cook? Wake up your girlfriend and get her to go outside and see what's going on. When she reports back to you, ask her to fix you a nice cup of hot chocolate. :rolleyes:

<snicker> Lessee.... dumped 20 lbs. of B+B natural lump into the chute at 0400 on Saturday, pulled the ham out at 1600, and left it burn to completely burn out the fuel load so I can completely clean out the ash. When we got home last night after 2100, there was still fire in the firebox and unlit charcoal above. Pit temps were 225 or above all day. This is not your typical pit, it's a cabinet style smoker with fully insulated walls (2" of rock wool) all the way around. It doesn't radiate enough heat out the bottom to even melt snow. At the moment, it's -10 F according to my weather station, and temps inside the cook chamber are still 25+ degrees warmer.

And I have a nice cup of a black dark roast Italian.....working on a change for my client right now.

Back