Post your live HeaterMeter Cooks

Smokin some homemade bacon on the Mini GF

http://bigbeggbbq.servebeer.com/luci

Looking great so far. Quite amazed how fast I can go from 1 temp to another.

au3xwrw.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, no learning curve with these things.just lite and smoke. The only thing I don't like, I use more fuel then on my UDS and that's because the size is much bigger

Very nice graph! Steady as a rock! What are your PID settings? With the fan settings, looks like the damper is doing most the work. Good to see.

Thanks for designing this terrific damper! So far so good. PID settings are default: 4, 0.02, 5 respectively. Are my fan settings close? Wasn't really sure what to put there, just guesstimated. Feedback is definitely appreciated!

Thanks for designing this terrific damper! So far so good. PID settings are default: 4, 0.02, 5 respectively. Are my fan settings close? Wasn't really sure what to put there, just guesstimated. Feedback is definitely appreciated!

Looking at your graph, I'd say your fan settings are spot on. Thanks for printing the damper.

I think it could be that the volume that needs to heat up is fairly large. I found out tonight I can smoke around 50+ pounds of wings at time. I had 10 pounds on one of my racks. I had a hell of time to get it up to 300°. My 28cfm blower was on maximum. Usually, once it gets to set point the blower will quiet down some. The fire box is about 10x7x10 and the opening to the smoker is about 3x10.

When I was seasoning it at 300° and had nothing in it, it held temp pretty good

Screenshot%202018-04-15%2016.29.24.png

All done now...graph above.

Beef short ribs on the Akorn with Microdamper.
Royal Oak charcoal.
Post Oak and Apple for smoke.
P: 4
I: .003
D: 6
On Above: 0
Min: 5%
Max: 50%
Startup Max: 40%

The overshoot at the start was because I accidentally had the latch stuck in the lid holding it open a bit.

Last edited:
First Cook with New HM

My first cook with my new HM on the WSM 22.5". Cooking some sausage at 210 to see how things go

P = 4
I = 0.01
D = 5
On Above: 8%
Min: 0%
Max: 60%
Startup Max: 100%

[removed HM graph URL]

Overshoot looks really bad and the fan is still blowing pretty hard for being 10 deg over setpoint.

Going to have to adjust. I do have a 15 cfm fan so maybe reduce to 75% at startup as well.

UPDATE: Not sure what happened but the HM was all jacked up and was only displaying the graph and nothing else. The time and date were completely wrong for the timezone I selected in settings. My graph now goes from 4/25 to 4/27 so I can't show the startup, but at least it is working now.
UPDATE: The whole cook was a bust. Tried changing temp to 250 and the HM couldn't get there. Went on manual mode to try different things with the fan and the top vent. Will try again this weekend with more fuel and no food (maybe a bowl of water as a heatsink).

Last edited:
Brisket - First Cook with HM

My first cook with food on my WSM 22" using the HM.

Started the fire around 11 PM Thurs and put the brisket at midnight @255 F. I spritzed with some apple cider vinegar at 2:30 AM. I wrapped in butcher paper at 7:30 AM and changed setpoint to 270 F. Now the rain is making it tough on the HM to maintain temp.

P = 3.5
I = 0.009
D = 9
On Above: 5%
Min: 0%
Max: 55%
Startup Max: 70%

(REMOVED GRAPH URL}

Once I got passed the very odd behavior of the temp dropping every time the fan came on in the beginning, things have looked good

UPDATE: Removed link to URL and didn't have image of graph to share since I had to reboot HM due to wireless issues and it reset my graph. Cook was mostly successful. I will need to tweak my fan delivery method since I seem to have trouble once the fire moves to the coals on the far side of the cooker away from the vent where the fan is attached. It is almost as though the fan just forces the heat out the top vent without stoking the fire.

Last edited:

Back