Post your live HeaterMeter Cooks

320 is really low, make sure you are not bottoming out that servo. Set the HM to 0% and let it move there, then unplug the CAT5 cable and make sure you can manually rotate it a bit further. If you can't then you need to raise the lower SPD number until you can or you will burn out your servo pretty quick. You may have to reorient the damper disc a tick or two in the process.

Done now, but I must say, it went quite well.

XHUBOoR.jpg

Not an actual cook. Just a test burn with my new RD3 and the latest snapshot.

Current settings
P:4
I:.02
D:5

Fan on above 50% min 0% Max 100% startup max 100%

Test Burn

Last edited:
Warming up for an overnight smoke of a couple of pork butts.

https://bbq.ww0.ca/

ZGcNcy5l.jpg

Just put the meat on!

hJSIdWMl.jpg

Well, I royally screwed up on my pit probe position, letting it sit between the 2 shoulders, reading artificially low for quite a while. I almost always place it near the edge of the grate. Not sure what I was thinking. Hoping things haven't gone past the point of no return!

Last edited:
I'm testing my HM for the first time today. No meat on the grill. Just using the Pit Probe so far. Checking to see how well it works. I have lots of leaks on my Weber Silver kettle grill that I'll need to take care of. I'm using one of the Micro-Dampers. I didn't use a huge amount of coals. Did sort of a snake thing using about 20-25 new briquettes and some old stuff left over from a previous cook.

heat-makarios.ddns.net:15001

Uh-oh. Not good. Runaway temp. My top and bottom vents are both closed (well, the top as much as I can since I ran the pit probe cable through it). Or, is this normal? I'm using everything default on the HM. Would just PID tuning fix this?

My PID settings: 4, .02, 5

Gotta seal this thing up better anyway.

3-5-16-test.PNG

I think this is where I ran out of fuel:
3-5-16-final.PNG

Last edited:
First cook with the HM. Using a MicroDamper from Steve on a WSM 18". The pork butt looks good but still needs a couple of hours.

Settings are 4, 0.05, 5, with fan on at 40%. Would love any suggestions on the PID tuning.

redir

Last edited:
What's your min/max set at for fan speed? I tested the micro-damper on my 18" WSM and had good results with

Fan on at 0%
Min 0%
Max 50%

Also,my PIDs are stock at 3, 0.005, 5, and I've found with a WSM, it's a bit difficult, depending on how you've attached your damper, to run the servo in any other mode than servo open/close only (Fully open at 1% with the new firmware), but I would suggest playing around with these settings. The micro-damper is quite versatile.

I really like the micro-damper. It really packs a wollup for such a small package.

I am impressed. Six hours later and it's still going.

I have everything at default. Fan min is 0%, max is 100%. PID is standard at 4, .05, 5.

But, WBegg - I bet you were directing that question to MarkL

Last edited:
What's your min/max set at for fan speed? I tested the micro-damper on my 18" WSM and had good results with

Fan on at 0%
Min 0%
Max 50%

Also,my PIDs are stock at 3, 0.005, 5, and I've found with a WSM, it's a bit difficult, depending on how you've attached your damper, to run the servo in any other mode than servo open/close only (Fully open at 1% with the new firmware), but I would suggest playing around with these settings. The micro-damper is quite versatile.

I really like the micro-damper. It really packs a wollup for such a small package.

Thanks, I'll give those settings a try. I had my fan set at min/max 0% and 100%.

I have no other frame of reference with this being the first cook, but I really like the micro damper. I have it attached with a stainless steel nipple directly threaded into a hole I drilled in the WSM.

About 2/3 of the way through a 14 lb brisket on my UDS. Currently (9 am CST) I am getting some inconsistent burn in my fuel basket, nothing to worry too much about though.

blackbarrelbbq.com

Back