Post your live HeaterMeter Cooks

skitch.jpg

So, judging by that most recent photo, this should really be way smoother. Currently running B0 P3 I.02 D5 for my PID settings. What do you suggest changing for my next cook? My webber isn't nearly as air tight as I want it to be (even with a nomex gasket) so there's always some leakage.

So, judging by that most recent photo, this should really be way smoother. Currently running B0 P3 I.02 D5 for my PID settings. What do you suggest changing for my next cook? My webber isn't nearly as air tight as I want it to be (even with a nomex gasket) so there's always some leakage.

NOTE: Your original image doesn't display properly, so I cropped it and reposted it to imgur for this reply.

I'd suggest drastically reducing your I value from .02 to something like .007 since you're really overshooting the temps when the fan comes on. You might also want to change your max fan speed from 100% to 50% if it's still at the default.

Smoking/Drying jerky.
22" WSM
HM 4.2 (latest firmware, as of yesterday)
RD3 Damper- Maiden Voyage
Cold smoked (>95F) w/ applewood for 2hrs prior to the charcoal/HM drying
Used a few handfuls of Kingsford blue bag as fuel.

Smoking at 145F, that's good and low, seems to be working out so far. I assume you have the blower set to on at Max Only?

No, PID values as follows:
B:0
P:4
I: .02
D: 5
Fan Output: Voltage 0-100 Start up Max 100%
Servo Pulse: 850-2380

Will probably have to refuel around 8pm or so. Hope to keep everything on till 10am tomorrow.

personally with such a low temp cook I would run the servo damper only, letting the fan come on at Max Only. You don't need the extra flow from the blower to achieve 145F... You should see the HM % rise up a bit if you turn the fan off, then you can open the top vent a little bit more until your servo settles around 30% open or so....

Probably don't need the fan, but it is holding temp fairly well right now. Top vent is probably half open. At this low of a temp, my biggest concern is the fire going out. Had that happen a few times and was a pain to get things fired back up again.

First overnight smoke and First brisket (13.2 lbs). http://www.mybbq.me:8084. Added an 8.2 lb pork shoulder and a 5 lb top round roast at 4:40 am. 2 racks of St. Luis cut ribs going in for 8 am. If I'm firing this beast up its gonna be filled. Brisket, pork and ribs are for today along with 2 fatties I haven't put together yet. Roast is for the slicer and lunches.

Edit: started loosing connection to the HM. Ran all night no problems now its not connecting to the interface.

Last edited:
Not sure how set you are on those PID constants but I think your I should be higher. A 0.001 I term is for something with a much larger period and yours is around 600 seconds. I figure 0.08 is closer to where you should be but I'd maybe start conservative with 0.01?

P.s. any input on setting is appreciated.

Chargriller Smokin' Pro
Cardboard flap valve
Big fan (26 cfm?) set to max: 15%
Default setting
B = 0
P = 4
I = 0.02
D = 5

6:25 to 6:30: rotated position of #1 and #2 and added cold charcoal.

Last edited:
Since it's not really a well sealed smoker, the HM isn't doing too much for you at lower temps. It looks to be able to do a better job once you upped the pit temp.

P.s. any input on setting is appreciated.

Chargriller Smokin' Pro
Cardboard flap valve
Big fan (26 cfm?) set to max: 15%
Default setting
B = 0
P = 4
I = 0.02
D = 5

6:25 to 6:30: rotated position of #1 and #2 and added cold charcoal.

My suggestion would be to get a MUCH smaller blower, like the stock blower of 6.7CFM.
Reason being, when the HM turns the blower on it gives it a boost start, if the blower is TOO big this boost start will push a lot of air into the pit before it slows down to the trickle pace. So when trying to cook at lower temps, like I see on your live cook, if the blower is too big it can work against you. 26CFM seems WAY big IMHO.

Live link: bbq.wbhinton.com
Got a live cook going on tonight. 2 Pork butts will start tonight and a center cut pork loin will go on tomorrow around noon.
Cooker: 22" WSM
Controller: HeaterMeter 4.2+fan+RotoDamper
Target Pit Temp: 225
Fuel: Kingsford + Hickory
Starting the fire in about 20min.

I'm live at the moment with a test run of my Heatermeter and Microdamper. I'm running on a 22.5" Weber kettle with a Slow n Sear inside (pictures of the whole setup are in the "how are you attaching your damper" thread) I have nomex gasket between the top and bottom halves, and it's bungee corded tight.

14A5B2W.jpg

Http://bbq.tizzle.net

I have a water pan in there to fake a cook. Haha. It's cold and windy out, but she's holding good.

Last edited:

Back