Pork Steaks

RLittle

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been wanting to try some pork steaks on the WSK. Bought the 2 pack of boneless butts at Costco thinking it would make life easy to cut my own steaks. It's been a while since I bought any of these and forgot that their de-boning process chops up the shape pretty bad. No big deal but I could only get (3) solid 1-1/2" steaks out of it. I got a lot of small pieces extra out of it but there was plenty of food for for 6 people. I tried to do this direct heat method on the WSK so I wanted as much spacing as I could get between the coal and the food grate. I'm sure I'm copying this method from someone on here but can remember exactly to give credit to. I got about 13" between the grates using the lower grate position for charcoal and elevating a 22" grate on some coal baskets.
grate setup.JPG

I ran this with JD lump only....no smoke wood. The plan was to get smoke flavor from the drippings directly on the coal.
Below we're about 2.5 hours in at 275 degrees. This was after the first flip of the meat.
flipped at 2.5 hr.JPG

At about internal temp of 165 degrees, I started basting with mop sauce every 15-20 minutes. This a thin sauce similar to Cornell chicken.
Sauce starts with stick of butter, about 1/2 an onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Melt up butter and add rest. Bring up to medium heat until butter fully melted and let go until onions get soft. Add 1 cup ACV, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3-4 of Tbsp. of favorite BBQ sauce, 2 Tbsp. of your favorite rub, Worc. sauce, hot sauce and about 1/2 a beer to thin it out. This is a really thin sauce but works well on the pork steaks. Below is at the 4 hour mark right before wrapping.

4 hrs pre-wrap.JPG
Got some nice color on these and that smell while cooking with pork juice dripping on the coals was amazing. I put them in foil and mopped fairly heavy one more time before wrapping them tight. I let it go about 30 minutes to almost 195 IT. I wanted to be able to cut slices not make it pulled texture. I removed and rested the steaks about 30 minutes. Sorry, I got no plated pictures of the finished product. We had a few beef steaks and a few thighs going as well and it got kind of hectic.
These turned out well. I may try some ribs this way in the near future without using smoke wood. This is really a "knock off" of the Hot and Fast chicken setup in the WSM but just a little lower temps. I may have to try a whole chicken as well.

if you use butcher's twine on the costco butt to shape your steaks you can then cut each steak into shape at your desired thickness.

with the twine, choose the thickness of each steak you'd like to make and then create as many rings with the twine. then just slice each steak and each steak will have twine around the outside which will help them keep shape. kind of like a tied ribeye cap.

1693252036240.png

That's a good idea Brett. I thought about that but was planning on cutting kind of across (where the bone would have been) so each steak had some money muscle in it. If I cut it the other way, one steak gets ALL the money muscle. It was a crap shoot on which butt to pick as they were de-boned about the same way. Just the 3 pork steaks were more than we needed so it wasn't the end of the world. I probably could have made something a little prettier tying up at least one of those smaller pieces. Those were cut from where the butt was mangled. Still, good idea though.

That's a good idea Brett. I thought about that but was planning on cutting kind of across (where the bone would have been) so each steak had some money muscle in it. If I cut it the other way, one steak gets ALL the money muscle. It was a crap shoot on which butt to pick as they were de-boned about the same way. Just the 3 pork steaks were more than we needed so it wasn't the end of the world. I probably could have made something a little prettier tying up at least one of those smaller pieces. Those were cut from where the butt was mangled. Still, good idea though.
thanks. i'm very curious why you elevate your grill deck. my logical thoughts would be to reduce the amount of fuel and cinch down the lower vent and use the standard 24" grate, with your lump in the bottom most position. almost a direct low and slow (no deflector plate) so you can get that fat on coal sear and natural smoke flavor (think Chudd box from Chudd's Youtube channel).

i've done Tri Tips over live fire (white oak) to get that natural smoked sear and had great results (the wood becomes charcoal as it breaks down and gives a nice nose and the cooking fat atomizes for the extra flavor boost too).

i'd like to understand and lean more about your approach. you results look great.

Chud box rip off was kinda the game plan. Trying direct heat on a fatty meat to create a natural fat on fire flavor.
My approach was a total guess as to how to mimic the direct smoke😀.
This was a brand new cook for me. Never cooked a pork steak.
I’m thinking freeze thick pork steaks individually in the future and take 1 or 2 out as needed for easy weekends.

Back