Pork Steaks are a BARGAIN!

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
There is a home owned super market about 20 miles from my home in neighboring South Eastern Indiana. It's Rosenberger's Market. They always have several meat cutters on duty at all times. My wife and I took a trip over there today. They had "pork roast" (Boston Butts) on sale for $1.39 per lb. It was all Indiana grown pork, too. I bought a nine pound Boston Butt and had it all cut up into 3/4" Pork Steaks (no extra charge). That is a WHOLE lot of meat for the money, these days!

I got hooked on pork steaks because of Bob Correl and Jim Lampe of this forum. I will post pictures the next time I put them on the grill. I use GFS (Gordon Food Service) Salmon rub (house branded "Trade East") on both sides of the steaks. It is a WONDERFUL combination. I grill on a HOT fire using Kingsford Original and flip the steaks every minute (by the watch) until done. The flipping leads to a more tender steak. Sounds crazy but it is a fact. Something about the protein not seizing when it is not overheated. It sure works for me.

Pork Steaks are a regular Indiana staple but the ones in the display case are always sliced too thin. You can dern near read a newspaper through them. I and my wife MUCH prefer 3/4" thick. We love the flavor and texture of pork steak. We have often braised thicker steaks in the St. Louis manner and those are wonderful too. Just depends on what we have a craving for at a particular time.

At any rate, if any of you live within driving distance of Brookville, In you might want to check out Rosenberger's Market. They have excellent bacon (house brand) as well as WONDERFUL smoked pork chops along with a lot of other fine meats - all custom cut to your specs. at lesser prices than the big box super markets (not to mention the quality difference).

FWIW
Dale53

Got to agree with you Robert. Barb and I just picked up some butts at $.99 a pound for pork steaks and picnics at $.49 a pound for sausage . As you say butts make great pork steaks.
Wish we had a store like that here, closest to us is in Phoenix 100+ miles away.

jiminy crickets! I think I just paid 250 for pork steaks today!

ps29jan16.jpg

I DID!!!
but you know what? They're worth it!
gonna do these ¾" jobbers tonight on the 14"WSM 'bout 300º to 325ºF indirect with apple wood for smoke.

gonna do these ¾" jobbers tonight on the 14"WSM 'bout 300º to 325ºF indirect with apple wood for smoke.
Have you used Kingsford Applewood charcoal yet? I did for my turkey a week or so ago, it's really nice charcoal, gives a nice blue smoke from the moment you light it. I'm going to use it again tomorrow for some CSR's the bride picked last night

Pork steaks are terrific when you can find some, like you did, at a decent meat market, and they'll cut them thick.

Haven't found such a place anymore within a reasonable radius of the people's republic of Ann Arbor.
But had some years ago, 1 inch thick, that were always terrific to grill.

Chuck, I have not tried K's apple...
Bill, ask your butcher to cut a butt into steaks for you, he'll be happy to.

I used the K Hickory on some chuck eyes the other day and the smoke/smell was great while it lasted.
The bits of wood in there burn out fairly quickly.

I used the K Hickory on some chuck eyes the other day and the smoke/smell was great while it lasted. The bits of wood in there burn out fairly quickly.
The Applewood seems to burn even faster than the Hickory. But unlike the Hickory, the Applewood has blue smoke from the moment you light it

you know Chuck, I DID try the apple ... Kingsford sent me a coupon for a free bag, and if I remember correctly (which is a big chore lately), it DID burn fast and pretty hot..

Chuck, I have not tried K's apple...
Bill, ask your butcher to cut a butt into steaks for you, he'll be happy to.

Thank you for the suggestion, Jim, if I can't find a butcher nearby, since I have no shame, I may just try to cut up a butt myself. (what do I have to lose, right? grin)
thanks
bill k

I have been to this market by mistake really a few years ago a freind told me he was going to pick up a hog he had butchered and this place is great i bought a freezer package of bacon , chops, etc. and it was great I go over at least once a year like in the spring now a short drive from Alexandria.
Love the pork steaks also.

Back