Pork steak, grill direct or indirect ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
What's your go-to pork steak method ? Reverse sear like a steak ? Or direct grill ?

I've got one that's about 1" thick.

Before I've tried the Tootsie of Snow's method, which is high heat but the pork steak is about 24" over the coals, a lot like Chris's Hot and Fast Chicken on the WSM. Wasn't really impressed with that method.

When I had my Performer I set up a 2 zone fire with fire bricks separating the zones. I put a good sear on the Pork Steak, removed it and wrapped it in HD foil with Apple Juice and BBQ sauce. When doing multiples I did the indirect cook in a covered foil pan. I tried for 250 on the indirect side and cooked it for 2 hours at 250. Now days, I use the same time and temps with my pellet grill. Very tender.

I cook my pork steak the same way I cook a steak. Sear, then indirect until finished.
I usually find thinner ones though.
I eat them like steak too - no sauce.

When the thicker ones are available this my go to:

I put a charcoal basket on top of my diffuser rack, which puts it a couple inches from the grate. I use lump charcoal. Sear to desired color, then move it off to the side and close the lid Until done. A chunk of smoking wood off to the side for flavor. 20210506_195916.jpg

I just grill, or pan cook them till done, which to me is a pinkish center.
Lowrys seasoning is my usual go to.. Nothing fancy, just done and eat.

I like my pork steaks with a little char on them. 1/2" or thinner, direct only. thicker than 1/2" direct grill then indiect side until it's 140 degrees or so internal. I thought about doing pork steaks tonight but the family wasn't interested :rolleyes:

What's your go-to pork steak method ? Reverse sear like a steak ? Or direct grill ?

I've got one that's about 1" thick.

Before I've tried the Tootsie of Snow's method, which is high heat but the pork steak is about 24" over the coals, a lot like Chris's Hot and Fast Chicken on the WSM. Wasn't really impressed with that method.
So... how did you wind up doing yours?

I picked up some pork steaks at Crest last night. I think I'll throw mine on the Jumbo Joe this weekend.

Never tried Lowrys on pork Geo but I am going to now. Thanks!

Funny, this reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend from Mexico a week or so ago. I was talking about Carne Asada and what seasoning he prefers. He said he doesn't like too much spice. He said he'd bring me some of the spice he likes. I'm thinking I'm going to get some authentic Mexican spices. :ROFLMAO:Guess what he brought me....

20220317_075358.jpg

Funny, this reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend from Mexico a week or so ago. I was talking about Carne Asada and what seasoning he prefers. He said he doesn't like too much spice. He said he'd bring me some of the spice he likes. I'm thinking I'm going to get some authentic Mexican spices. :ROFLMAO:Guess what he brought me....

View attachment 47340

There is a family that has several Mexican restaurant locations in the norther suburbs of Chicago. Year's ago we asked the chef about his seasonings, and he brought out the same one!

You know...there's lots, and I mean lots of rubs, seasoning mixes, commercial and homemade..To me, most are very similar, I mean look at the ingredients, they're essentially the same, amounts probably differ but basically alike... I like regular or the reduced salt Lowrys on pork and chicken, can't find anything wrong with it... :giggle:

So... how did you wind up doing yours?

I picked up some pork steaks at Crest last night. I think I'll throw mine on the Jumbo Joe this weekend.

Puttin it on the grill this evening. I still don't know what I'll do , but most likely, I'll direct sear and just keep flippin. Its not really thick enough for a reverse sear, which is how I always grill steak. I found this one at Crest months ago. Its been in the freezer.

Depends on the steak or where you live. Most around here in the Midwest are cut from the shoulder, but you can get some from the loin or leg.
If it's not labeled correctly I look at the color. Red is from the shoulder and pink is from the loin or leg.
The shoulder ones I treat like Eric's V, loin or leg like a pork chop.

There is a family that has several Mexican restaurant locations in the norther suburbs of Chicago. Year's ago we asked the chef about his seasonings, and he brought out the same one!

I think there is a connection somewhere in this as to why you probably don't order Chicago deep dish in the southwest and I steer clear of Mexican food north of Frisco and east of Texas. ;)

My wife and I love our pork steaks grilled , first we put them on high heat for a beautiful crust then indirect to about 135 to 140 let rest while we set the table. Then she likes to cut in thin strips. We make lettuce wraps with them, using rice(of course) A couple kinds of kimchi, radish,Napa cabbage, and bean sprout. Add a line of gochagon pepper sauce fold and eat. The pork flavor goes so well with veggies. Filling but not heavy.
Of course you can use steak chicken, pork belly. Shrimp, whatever you like.

Back