Pork Loin with Peach Wood

Brenda T

TVWBB Pro
Earlier this week, I asked at the local Ace Hardware if they still carried Dizzy Pig Mad Max Turkey Rub and they said they would order it. Stopped in yesterday and got the Mad Max, plus Dizzy Dust, plus Boars Head White Lightning - which i have wanted to try since seeing it mentioned here.
Furthermore, my order of Fruita Wood Peach chunks arrived. Well, now I gotta cook something!

Got an 8 lb pork loin from Sams. I cut it in 2 pieces and rubbed one with Dizzy Dust and one with White Lightning. Smoked with charcoal and 2 chunks of peach wood. (Cooked on a non-Weber, so no pic of that.)

I really like the White Lightning.
Dizzy Dust - not sure, need to try again.
The peach wood smells wonderful - especially on your clothes! - and gave a nice smoke flavor.

The pork loin was good, but a little bland inside. Maybe loin needs to be injected? I normally only use pork loin for Canadian Bacon, ala Bob Correll.
Anyway, this will make good sandwiches, even if a little BBQ sauce is needed. 😀

PS It's not quite as dry as it looks in the sliced picture, but yeah I probably should have pulled it a little earlier.

20220326_171123.jpg20220326_202145.jpg20220326_202859.jpg

Brenda,
Pork looks great, that shot before it is sliced, oh man! You are using two of my favorite grilling products. I LOVE the peach wood from fruita wood and have some set up in the Weber to make some ribs here in the next few hours. I also really really LOVE the White Lighting. The only AP rub that comes close in my mild is Boars Night Out NEW Midwest Dust. I recommend that one as much as I highly recommend the White Lighting.

IMG_20220310_175216309~2.jpg

Brenda,
Pork looks great, that shot before it is sliced, oh man! You are using two of my favorite grilling products. I LOVE the peach wood from fruita wood and have some set up in the Weber to make some ribs here in the next few hours. I also really really LOVE the White Lighting. The only AP rub that comes close in my mild is Boars Night Out NEW Midwest Dust. I recommend that one as much as I highly recommend the White Lighting.

View attachment 47984
Thank you!
It may have been one of your posts where I first saw the White Lightning. Good stuff! This morning I put it on some scrambled eggs - yum.

Brenda - the pork loin looks great! Peach is one of my favorite woods for smoking. I met an owner of a fruit orchard a few years ago and really stocked up on peach wood.

Myron Mixon, being from Georgia, is a peach wood advocate. He says that you want the peach wood to be somewhat green.

Fruita Wood is located on Colorado's western slope near the town of Palisade, which is famous for its peaches. So it makes sense they sell a lot of peach wood. They say the same thing as MM:

Different from any other wood for smoking. To achieve a true flavor, the wood must be have a high moisture content as well as high sugar residual. We know this from watching our customers’ success in competitions. We take frequent moisture readings to assure our customers of getting a quality product. When the moisture content is below our quality guidelines, we won’t sell it. Our peach wood makes up 60% of all the wood we sell.

Hi @Brenda T, that looks great! You’re right when you say that pork loin needs a little help, it can definitely end up a bit bland and dry. I agree with @Joe T Gomez that it needs to be stuffed with something flavorful. After many dried out loins, the only way I do one now is to butterfly it, add some spices/ingredients, then roll it up. My favorite filling is spinach, roasted red pepper and provolone. The sky’s the limit as far as stuffings.
D68959C8-DE13-4031-97A4-D956ACC3FA1D.png

Hi @Brenda T, that looks great! You’re right when you say that pork loin needs a little help, it can definitely end up a bit bland and dry. I agree with @Joe T Gomez that it needs to be stuffed with something flavorful. After many dried out loins, the only way I do one now is to butterfly it, add some spices/ingredients, then roll it up. My favorite filling is spinach, roasted red pepper and provolone. The sky’s the limit as far as stuffings.
View attachment 48082
Thanks DuaneMac!
I will have to try that. I was just looking for something that I could use the peach wood on right away,
and there's not much meat you can find nowadays for $2 a pound! 😄 If it had been a total failure, I would have only been out $16. LOL

Back