Pork Loin Kingsford Hickory charcoal experiment

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
Hi Everybody. Have you tried Kingsford Hickory charcoal? I saw a small bag at Lowes, I bought it, and decided to give it a shot. It says throw 6-7 of these on top of lit briquettes, and that is what I did. I also bought a pork lion from Food 4 less, never tried this marinated pork meat either. Since this was an experiment, what the heck! I grilled the pork loin direct, turning it every 5 minutes, for about 30 minutes or so. I rested the meat under foil for about another 10 minutes. The hickory charcoal sure smelled good there for awhile. It lasted about 15-20 minutes of that good ol smoke smell. I sliced the meat, it had a faint smoke smell, but I could taste it. The meat was tender and juicy, not much of a smoke ring, but I could taste a little bit of the hickory smoke in the meat. Overall, I was pleased how the meat turn out. I still prefer using wood chips or chunks for smoke. But this was fun trying this out. What are your thoughts?

Kingsford Hickory charcoal.

Close up of the charcoal

Marinated pork loin

On the fire

Lets get grilling!

Nice color.

Sliced! Good Eats!!!

Thanks for looking :).

Thanks for the info as I have often wondered about the Smokehouse briquets and glad you let us know as I will stick to wood. The pork looks delicious

How was that pre-seasoned loin? I see them all the time. For some reason, they don't sit well with me.

How was that pre-seasoned loin? I see them all the time. For some reason, they don't sit well with me.

The pre-season rubs wasn't too bad. Actually, I do prefer doing my own on a cut of meat. But for this cook, everything was an experiment. Results were pretty good, but definitely can be better as we are pit/grill masters here ;).

Great looking pig Michael. And thanks for posting the result of your experiment. This kind of info about products, equipment, and techniques really helps the community improve the art.

Regards,

John

Back