Pork fat/ fire drippings

Scott M.

TVWBB Fan
Thanks for your patience with my questions. i am a complete neophyte to this. Today, I am smoking my first butts, using a modification of a rub from K. Kruger (Thanks for posting so many recipes-I didn't have quite enough garlic powder, but I think its going to be fine!). I trimmed off a lot of fat cap, salted and let it sit before applying the rub. The WSM 22.5 is holding temp beautifully on a breezy day here in the Blue Ridge, according to my Maverick 732.
I hear that proponents of UDS smokers say that drippings in the fire help the flavor/cooking of the meat. If you're using the water pan with or without a heat sink, it keeps drippings from making it to the fire.
My question is, has anyone used the fat cap trimmings from a butt, and placed them directly in the fire box? If yes, what was the outcome-did it improve/ worsen the cook?

I don't know if what Todd said is true, but I concur with not doing it. Look at it this way, you don't see that done in competition. It also seems like it would make a mess. I can tell you that you will get a great product without doing that.

thanks for the advice. considering this is my first cook, the temp control has been pretty smooth without the cooker being seasoned. That was the other question I didn't include- I wondered if it would help with seasoning, but it "ain't broke," so i'll stay clear of trying to "fix" it. I appreciate your time.
I haven't done a thing to the cooker since0845 this AM, and it has stayed between 244 and 262 F. Vents have all been about 10-25% open on bottom-wide open on top. Its a beautiful thing!

...My question is, has anyone used the fat cap trimmings from a butt, and placed them directly in the fire box? If yes, what was the outcome-did it improve/ worsen the cook?

I've tossed fat trimmings onto the coals in a wsm, and yes, they definitely added some fat in the fire flavor. That was only three chunks cut off the fat cap. To me, it didn't ruin it or make it any better. It just added that pit flavor, if that's your thing. I got the idea from an old thread here.

Back