Pork butt prices

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I’ve been pulling from the freezer lately but it’s time to restock. What’s a good price for pork butts these days. I see a local ad for $1.79lb. I’m wondering if there’s any point in waiting for a better price. Shopping has been so different these past months, that I’m doubtful any real sales are forthcoming. Looking for some reconnaissance. TIA

Not a bad price. I used to stock up when they are under a dollar a pound. 99, 88 or even 77 cents a pound. That is a sale
They are also the saline ones with bone. Costco usually carries boneless ones and no saline injection. Usually 199 a pound but lately slightly less. Boneless and no water weight helps to even the price out some. Your price looks good. There were no sales until recently when it was 88 at the local market. If you are not in a hurry, and you can be patient you can get a bunch on sale. Stock up the freezer.

Last edited:
I still get them for .99 LB on sale. Usually grab 2 and freeze them at that price.

Meijer had them for $ 0.99 lb last week. What I like about meijer is they are all natural and cryoed, so you can plop em right in the freezer.

Thanks. I’ll hold off. I’ve got plenty that’s already cooked in the freezer, but if $1.79 was a great price these days, I would have jumped on it. I’ll add Meijer into my watch list.

My local grocery store (Food Lion) semi-regularly features them at $0.99/lb. Best price I've ever found them was three years ago, same grocery store, and they had a manager's markdown on a few that were set to go out (I was lucky to be there at the right time), and they were $0.49/lb. but that was a one-time deal, and I definitely took advantage of it.

Rock steady pricing at Wegman's w/ $1.69/lb. Harris Teeter is usually $1.99 or higher, but down to $1.29 when there's a sale. It's Smithfield though and I'm not fond of it.

I too get mine at wegmans. Before covid i could get them for .99 a pound. Now they run anywhere from 1.19-1.69 a pound. I don't mind paying the 1.19 so when i see them at that price i will usually pick up a few to freeze.

Well what do you know! Kroger has a sale going on right now. .99lb. picked one up even though I have two in the freezer. I’ll do it tomorrow since I don’t have to wait for it to unthaw. Sweet, we eat good and on the cheap tomorrow!

Update: Looking pretty good for just over $8.

FBB61D68-9943-4638-9932-0B757B80D210.jpeg

Last edited:
Just snagged an 8 pounder the other day on sale at Wegman's for $1.29/lb. Great weather this week and I'm still working from home, so I'll throw it on in the next few days.

Back